We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

week in port douglas

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
week in port douglas

Hello everyone, we are a family travelling to port douglas in June, we have 2 young children (will be 3.5yrs & 8months) and wanting to do a day trip to the Daintree, can you recommend a child friendly day tour, and any other recommendations of things to do. Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,617 posts
204 reviews
1. Re: week in port douglas

I'd hire a car and get the self drive CD.

Tours really don't work with babies. Not only will the day be stressful for you as things like stopping to change nappies and feeding can be near on impossible. It also impacts on the enjoyment of other guests unless you were able to find a baby specific tour.

If you weren't sure what to do why PD?

So… other choices, Habitat, Kuranda Skyrail, markets on Sunday

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: week in port douglas

I have to agree that babies/small children on group tours can sometimes impact on the pleasure of the other participants and one can never be sure how a baby will behave on the day. As someone who was confined on a bus with a screaming baby once I can only say that I wish the parents had taken into account the fact that everyone else had paid for the experience as well as this particular family ( a tour which did not include a two hour screaming session in the brochure).

My recommendation - which will give you far more flexibility - is to hire your own car and self drive.

Jump in the car and do a walk/picnic at Mosman Gorge ... Drive to Palm Beach, Take the Skyrail to Kuranda. so many options which you can choose from depending on the weather.. With an 8 month I'd not plan to do too much that takes a long time, just wander the main street and chill out in a house near the beach some days as that can be as enjoyable as rushing around .. this region is easy for self-drive adventures so you might find that by shopping around you can get a car for a similar price as you'd pay for a bunch of family tours in any case.

Edited: 12:50 am, January 23, 2015
sydney
Level Contributor
90 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: week in port douglas

Beautiful sandy beaches for sandcastle building, calm warm sea and safe town - it will be wonderful. Recommend - Bird sanctuary (breakfast with the birds is fun,) crocodile river cruise on Lady Douglas from Port Douglas marina, Mossman Gorge (may be awkward with a stroller though.) Kuranda train and skyrail, Tjapukai Aboriginal park is good too, if you have 3 hours available before your flight home, as it is on the way to Cairns airport.

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
4. Re: week in port douglas

Thanks so much Manth10 that is the exact advice I was looking for, will have a look at the suggestions :-) thanks again

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
5. Re: week in port douglas

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions :-)

sydney
Level Contributor
90 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: week in port douglas

Hope it helps. Have a great holiday.

Edited: 7:08 am, February 10, 2015
7. Re: week in port douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 12, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas