We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodation choice?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Inverness, scotland
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
accomodation choice?

We have booked 7 nights at the Lakes in Cairns as part of a 6 week RTW trip in Nov. but are having 2nd thoughts & think Port Douglas might be a more suitable option. We would like suggestions for an apartment that is quite central, don't really want to have to hire a car. We have a good deal at the Lakes paying approx $AU 120 per night so looking for similar price range or a bit more. Any ideas? This week in North Queensland is supposed to be a relaxing week in a busy schedule so maybe Port Douglas would be a nicer option.

Inverness, scotland
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodation choice?

It looks like our price of $AU 120 at the Lakes is a very good price compared with apartments in Port Douglas so I would expect suggestions that cost more than this!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodation choice?

Hi Portygirl.

November should see some great last minute rates,as it's normally relatively quiet and everyone will be looking to fill their apartments.

If you can leave it for a couple of months to book, you'll be pleased with the rates you get on last minute sites as

quickbeds.com.

last minute.com

wotif. com

and a few more that you can find through search engines like google.

Port will be very much a more relaxing experience but with still enough to do everyday if you wish and a vehicle will not be required for your stay.

Some aprtaments that are central ( and in no particular order)

Hibiscus Gardens,

The Meridian,

The Newport,

Macrossan House,

The Outrigger group ( there are 3 in the main town centre)

Palm Villas.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodation choice?

just a thought at the mango tree have a look.

Inverness, scotland
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accomodation choice?

Thank you both for the suggestions. We quite fancy the Meridian as it does not allow young children.We brought up 3 lively daughters & have done the busy family holidays in the past, it is now time for just us. They have a lovely apartment with both pool access & a spa on the balcony- not sure we could leave booking it till last minute though. It is double the cost of the Lakes in Cairns but we might just have to splash out!

ete
scotland
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accomodation choice?

Hi portygirl,

Have just spent a week in Port Douglas, and really would recommend it for a relaxing time.

We stayed at Hibiscus, following recommendation on this site and certainly were not disappointed. Spacious apartments (we were a party of 8, so had 3) lovely relaxing atmosphere even though we were there during school holiday time........with 1 child and 3 teenagers, ours were about the only kids staying there!

Hibiscus is very central, just out of the main drag, a perfect situation, 8 minutes walk to the beach, 3 minutes to the lovely main street full of interesting shops and good restaurants (food was fab, everywhere) 10 minutes to the harbour.

We were encouraged to book in advance as we were a large party visiting in peak season, however, there were several vacancies all over the place, they put boards outside advertising good "walk in" rates...........worth thinking about waiting.

have a great trip.

ete
scotland
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accomodation choice?

p.s.

thanks travelport for all your help prior to our trip, invaluable!!

Inverness, scotland
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accomodation choice?

ete,

thanks for the info, having looked at the Hibiscus it is now a choice between it & the Meridian. The Meridian is newer ( I think ) & we quite fancy the spa as well as direct pool access.We could have an apartment at the Hibiscus however with a spa & breakfast prepaid for less. Is it a fairly new complex & is the website accurate?

We usually holiday in very basic apts in the Greek islands but as this is a special RTW trip to celebrate our Silver Wedding it is important that the accomodation is really clean & well maintained- nothing worse than a scruffy room if a palace is portrayed on the website. Port Douglas is more expensive than the Cairns accomodation that we had budgeted for & we are splashing out in Fiji so it is important for the accomodation to be great.

ete
scotland
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accomodation choice?

Hi portygirl,

Never having seen Meridian, I can't really compare the two.

Check out the photos on this website, I only have one which I haven't put on to the site, however the others which have been submitted are certainly accurate.

The layout gives the impression of a fairly small and intimate complex, both pools are small (really for a cool down, not olympic work out) however set in really pretty rainforest/balanise style gardens. Quite breathtaking when you arrive.

I'm almost sure almost all the rooms look onto one or other pool, albeit through huge palms and greenery!

One suggestion, if you choose Hibiscus........request a room one floor up, some of the ground floor ones are overlooked when walking round the decking paths. Apartments are spacious, clean and well equiped, including cd player and champagne glasses......very useful.

Location is perfect, there's loads of accommodation in PD however not nearly as convenient as this little gem.

I'm sure you will enjoy Port Douglas, there's lots to see, and great selection of restaurants, in fact we found ourselves out and about most of the time, a pity considering the beautiful Hibiscus setting .....didn't even get time to use the spa voucher.....maybe next time!!

Good luck with the searching, have a great trip.

Auckland
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: accomodation choice?

Hi there - my husband and I just got back from 9 nights in P.D and 1 night in Cairns. By far, P.D is the nicer place to have a relaxing holiday - but plenty to do and see as well. After one night in Cairns, I was looking forward to traveling to P.D - although we did have a lovely brunch in a cafe in Cairns before heading off (and if you hire a car - you can always go back that way to the skyrail or shopping mall).

My choices for accommodation before leaving were also the Meridian, Hibiscus and Breakfree Aqueous. After much thought, we decided on the Aqueous as it was very close to town and was new in 2005. I'm quite fussy with accommodation (careful now, as our honeymoon accommodation in Thailand was not as nice as I thought it looked on the website), and when we walked into the apartment it was nicer than I had expected - so great! Everything was new and gorgeous. We had a one bedroom apartment with kitchen (dishwasher, laundry, waste disposal) - and a spa bath on our deck. We did a few outings, but as the apartment was so nice we relaxed there. There are pools on both sides, so if it was shady on one side, the sun was on the other! (Although we were there from July 16th - 26th, and there was 3 days of rain, but it cleared up luckily).

I saw the Meridian and Hibiscus as they were just in the same block really - the Meridian looked nice too from the outside. The HIbiscus looked nice too, but it looked very shady at the pool, if you want some sun (it is maybe different during parts of the day though).

We went to the reef on Calypso - very good. I reccommend 'breakfast with the birds' at the habitat (I loved it, and great breakfast with loads of tropical fruit). And we liked 'The Living Room' restaurant for dinner. Plus lots of nice icecream. Hope that helps! Have a great time.

Inverness, scotland
Level Contributor
790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accomodation choice?

Thanks all, after much debate we decided on the deluxe honeymoon apt at the Meridian. We liked the idea of a spa/ hot tub & pool access & the spa rooms at the Hibiscus appeared to be on the ground floor where the rooms can be overlooked. The great breakfast at the Hibiscus & the lovely grounds looked inviting but I am always a target for biting beasties & I'm sure with the foliage there will be a few.We did look at the Aqueous too but the cost was prohibitive, another $AU300 more than the Meridian's top apt. I am so glad we changed our destination to Port Douglas from Cairns even though we have doubled our budget for that part of our trip, can't wait!