We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Isles Tour Recommendations

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Low Isles Tour Recommendations

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Port Douglas in mid-March and have booked a day on the Wavelength with the three stops--so exited (and hoping the weather cooperates). Now I'm looking into Low Isles cruise options. So far I've found Aquarius, Sailaway, and Quicksilver Wavedancer. Is there another option I'm missing? Of the three I've listed, does anyone have experience with the Low Isles tours or recommendations which one to go with?

I do get seasick, but I survived two weeks in the Galapagos (had to where those ear patches the whole time), so I think, with planning, I can survive a day to the Low Isles. However, I'd rather not wear the ear patch if taking Gravol beforehand is enough. So I guess I'm looking for seasickness tips, too (I took Gravol before flying over the Nasca Lines in Peru, and I didn't throw up but I didn't feel that great the rest of the day, either).

Thanks for any and all replies!

Mentioned in this post
Sailaway
Sailaway
1,412 Reviews
Port Douglas, Australia
Peru
Peru
South America
BTS Daintree
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Updraught Microlights and Hang Gliders
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Cape Trib Adventure Bus
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Blue Adventures Wildlife & Rainforest Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

You shouldn't need to book ahead of time for Low Isles in mid March. Some operators may even offer discounted rates. Wait and look at weather reports for when you'll be here. Aquarius Low Isles is a beautiful option.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

Thanks, that is good to know. We have 5 days in PD, not counting the flying in and flying out days, so it would be nice to just book on the fly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
405 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

We went with Quicksilver and had a great time We chose the Low Isles as we both suffer sea sickness and preferred to be able to be on solid ground for some of the day instead of being stuck on a boat or in the water the whole time. Our plan worked. Neither of us felt sick but we wre lucky-it was a calm day

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

Thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

On our first trip to PD, we went to the Low Isles with Sailaway, mainly so we could see how our children did with snorkeling off a beach before we attempted a deep water snorkel trip with Wavelength to the Outer Reef. (They did great, so we did the Wavelength trip a few days later.) We thought the Sailaway trip was good, but be aware that the coral and marine life will not be as varied or abundant as what you will find at the Outer Reef. Also, even though the Low Isles are closer to PD than the Outer Reef, you will spend about the same amount of time getting there and back as you will on the Wavelength trip--the Sailaway boat just goes slower than the Wavelength boat.

Mentioned in this post
Sailaway
Sailaway
1,412 Reviews
Port Douglas, Australia
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

Longhorn, great advice. We want to do two different types of snorkel days, so Low Isles sounds nice.

Feilding, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

Have you considered reef sprinter?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

I will look into Reef Sprinter, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Reef Sprinter
Reef Sprinter
1,002 Reviews
Port Douglas, Australia
9. Re: Low Isles Tour Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 13, 2015