We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top things to do while in port douglas.

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
top things to do while in port douglas.

i couldnt see any TO DO lists on the right hand side, so thought i ask instead.

we are coming to port douglas in october for our honeymoon and will be there for 3.5 days. (we will then be in cairns for 6 nights.

we have already got mossman gorge, the daintree and cape tribulation down on the list!

is there anything else up that way that we should consider?

thanks

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,956 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

there is a 'things to do' tab in the green bar at the top of the page

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

http://www.crocodileadventures.com/

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

Been to PD several times, if your time is limited I'd miss out Mossman, Daintree and the Cape. Certainly you should take in a trip to the reef or one of the islands. Green Island is more developed bu can only be reached from Cairns. Cairns is also an interesting visit, especially Saturday for the market, and take swim wear as the promenade pool is great.

Karunda is another good trip, especially the train down and can be coupled with other trips i.e. Breakfast With The Birds etc. Don't underestimate PD itself and the wonderful beach

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

Click the tab and you'll find 63 'things to do' in Port Douglas!

I'm surprised maxgrazza doesn't seem to like our beautiful Daintree region - maybe I'm biased as we've lived in the heart of it for 17 years and never tire of it! Here's a good website with local info so you can decide for yourself:-

http://www.destinationdaintree.com/

Must-do's in Port Douglas - definitely Wildlife Habitat - the Four-mile Beach lookout at the top of the hill - Court House Hotel for great steaks - The Tin Shed (Port Douglas Combined Clubs) especially for lunch or a sundowner overlooking the water - the wonderful Sunday markets - Four Mile Beach itself.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

Sunbird

Sorry didn't mean to slight Daintree, simply that if I had limited time in the area I think there are other things to do before getting round to Daintree, despite the delicious ice-creams.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

Hi.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!!

I loved Daintree, one of my favourite places in the world I have ever been.

Also the rainforest habitat in PD was great fun, feeding kangaroos and emus.

Abs :)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

I personally would choose Mossman Gorge, the Daintree or Cape Tribulation over Kuranda - but it depends what interests you.

But with your time in Cairns combined with your time in Port Douglas you should be able to fit it all in.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

Sorry again, maxgrazza, I really don't mean to be picky but in the interests of accurate information... !

Your comment "Karunda is another good trip, especially the train down and can be coupled with other trips i.e. Breakfast With The Birds etc" is very misleading as the Kuranda Train/Skyrail experience is just north of Cairns and the very popular "Breakfast with the Birds" (also "Lunch with the Lorikeets") is an hour's drive north at Port Douglas's Wildlife Habitat. Two totally different experiences and not available, to my knowledge, as any kind of package.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

No need to apologize sunbird, it seems to be your area of expertise. I last in PD in November 2013, but didn't do either, but we certainly combined both Breakfast with the Birds and Karunda in one trip in October 2012

L G
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: top things to do while in port douglas.

It depends on what whether you're wanting to do touristy/sightseeing things. And I preferred Port Douglas as a base to do day trips over Cairns. Port Douglas is a lovely seaside town. Cairns on the other hand was busy.

We had a very relaxing time there in late dec. Had a rental car and drove to Mossman Gorge. Has a river where it was a very popular swimming spot.

Cape Tribulation was a fair drive away with narrow, winding roads, and honestly not too much to see. Some nice beaches and a viewing point of the area.

Hartleys crocodile adventures was good value.

Palm Cove is a beautiful romantic beach. Well worth a romantic walk along....

I preferred the kuranda sky rail over the train ride as there was more to see and took less time.