We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrier Reef, Snorkelling with a 22 month old

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Great Barrier Reef, Snorkelling with a 22 month old

Hi we are planning to go to PD in a couple of weeks. We would like to do a Great Barrier Reef trip and do a bit of snorkelling. My husband and I will take turns with the toddler while the other snorkels. We do not want to go on a boat with a large number of people. Can anyone recommend a boat trip? Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Barrier Reef, Snorkelling with a 22 month old

If snorkelling only, then try Wavelength, they take snorkellers only ( no divers) and only carry a max of 30 guests.

If looking to do an intro dive then try either Poseidon or HABA. They carry around the same amount of guests.

If looking for a platform (pontoon) then you may have to go with Quicksilver,as they are the only ones with one. Unfortunately they carry around 400 guests.

Cairns Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Barrier Reef, Snorkelling with a 22 month old

Wavedancer is a good one when travelling with a little one, as it visits the Low Isles so you are not stuck on a boat for the day. There are many inclusions also such as a beach walk, glass bottom boat tour, and snorkel tours. There are thatched umberllas set up on the island for shade and you can snorkel right off the beach.

The glass bottom boat tours are great for spotting turtles as they tend to hang round in this area and your infant will love spotting all the fish.

Wavedancer takes a maximum of 45 passengers. I have taken quite a few reef trips with my little one, the pontoon ones or visiting an island would be your best option so you are not stuck to the confines of a boat having to chase them round or contend with sea sickness if it is a rough day.

3. Re: Great Barrier Reef, Snorkelling with a 22 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 16, 2009