We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking tours

Alberta
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
booking tours

Only a couple of weeks before we leave for Australia. For our Port Douglas week from Nov 2 to Nov 9, we have our accommodation all set. What I am wondering about is whether I should book Wavelength snorkeling now or wait until I am there? When I inquired with them about 1 month ago, they told me to book as soon as possible, however when I look on this forum, it is advised to wait until I am there to book to get the best possible weather day. Please let me know.

The other tour we want to do is Kurundu, but we will be driving ourselves as we will have a car, so not sure if we need to book the train/skyrail prior?

Finally, has anyone done the reef flight with daintree air service. Is this a worthwhile trip over the GBR to take pictures, etc.

Thanks for all your help

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
BTS Daintree
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Updraught Microlights and Hang Gliders
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Cape Trib Adventure Bus
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Blue Adventures Wildlife & Rainforest Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking tours

Kuranda - no need to book skyrail or train, just turn up.

Hopefully some of the TA experts for this area will offer help with your other questions.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking tours

Just got back from a week in Port Douglas. We did Wavelength and it was great. I did book about 1 month in advance, it does fill up as they only take 30 at a time. If the weather is bad they will rebook for another day. I booked our trip for the second day in PD just in case weather was bad we had 5 more days to replan. We did not have to replan, weather was great and we had a great day. I wrote a review about them.

Not sure if you are driving to Kuranda or to the skyrail station. We also had a car and drove to the skyrail station, about 45 minutes from PD. We actually booked from a place in PD that had the skyrail and train package for $93, we had to put 10% deposit down and paid the rest when we got to the skyrail. We only did this the day before. So no need to prebook, you can also just buy your tickets the day you go to skyrail. Once you get there it is easy to figure out what line to be in and it moves fairly quickly. Then you are on your way. If you take the skyrail/train combo you will end up in a different place from where you boarded skyrail. They have busses, with aircon, that will take you on about a 5 minute ride to the carpark at skyrail. It is a realy easy process from start to finish. We got to the skyrail at 9:30 and the train from Kuranda left a 2, this was plenty of time and we were ready to head back. They skyrail makes 2 stops, your choice if you want to get off and how long you want to stay. We got off both times to see the views, I would recommend this. I also wrote a review about that. Okay, didn't mean to write a mini novel, hope I answered some of your question. Have fun in PD.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking tours

You are coming a long way so i would pre book Wavelength as its probably the most popular trip to the reef,as Tundra said book early into your trip then if the weather is bad you can reschudule.As for the rest i wouldnt pre book just turn up.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,044 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking tours

Normally (Wavelength being the exception = book yesterday) I would say wait. But there is a slight increase in tourists for the period you are looking at due to the eclipse. It will be noticeable towards the end of your trip. I think you may have reading replies not specific to Wavelength, most of us will say book well ahead.

So if planning to do Kuranda I would do it earlier, and that way you can book a day before. having done the turn up at Skyrail and the prebooked version i would go with the allocted time slot. Kinda like fast pass at Disney land if it's busy.

Edited: 6:14 pm, October 04, 2012
Alberta
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking tours

thank you. I will book with Wavelength right away. I will book for the Monday and that way if the weather is bad, I have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to rebook.

For Kurundu train and skyrail, I will wait until I get there.

Thank you for all of your responses.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: booking tours

Or you might not go to the reef at all, if on Monday, you find the weather is poor. Wavelength only has 30 people and all the other passengers booked after they checked the weather and they are now travelling on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday - the fine weather days. But you booked for Monday (that might be) a bad weather day.

Always book when you are sure of the weather.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking tours

Dont worry whatever happens you will get too see the reef but it may not be on Wavelength,there are plenty of good operators that tour the reef from Port Douglas.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,678 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking tours

If you have trouble with Wavelength - Another boat that operates from PD that has excellent recommendations is the aristocat - http://www.aristocat.com.au/ for info see the Tour Shop Australia just outside the coffee shop club & Coles in PD for tours on the aristocat.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Port Douglas
Level Contributor
278 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: booking tours

aristocat has been sold and no longer operates out of port douglas. The two shops Ellemy mentioned are owned by the guy who used to own Aristocat...so yed of course that boat was the only boat they would really recommend.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: booking tours

Poseidon is also another good boat.

There is a solar eclipse the following week (nov 14) that is visible from Cairns/Port Douglas and many travelers are coming earlier and tours and accommodations are getting very full! I would definitely advise that you book the tours and reef visits that you plan on doing.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia