We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandlay or Shalimar in Port Douglas?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Mandlay or Shalimar in Port Douglas?

Are they both identical apartments? If not which one would you recommend?

Has anyone stayed here? We are looking at spending about 10 nights here. Was initially planning to stay in Cairns, but was advise PD is beautiful! The kids should love it!

Thanks

Kassy

Cairns Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandlay or Shalimar in Port Douglas?

Hi Kassy,

Yes Mandalay and Shalimar are the same property. One side was developed before the other, they used to be seperate but now they have merged together and you will have access to all facilities onsite no matter which area you stay in. It is a very beautiful property, however they do get booked up fast so I would suggest to book as soon as possible!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandlay or Shalimar in Port Douglas?

Kassy

Properties are side by side, same managers running the two.

Some apartments though are slightly different in furnishings, as some have not fully refurbished, and have only replaced what they felt was needed.Overall in great condition, luxurious and great location.Very family friendly with pool, lap pool,bbque areas and tennis court and within walking distance to town.

NSW
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandlay or Shalimar in Port Douglas?

Hi - just saw this

We stayed in Mandalay last August and loved it. The apartments were spacious and comfortable. But....the ground floor apartments don't have a lot of privacy so I'd be sure to get a 1st floor one (no 15 if you can)ideally or second floor but there are no lifts so they are 3 floors from the car park. However on second thoughts, with kids, being able to watch them in the pool from your Mandalay living room might outweigh the privacy angle, so ground floor could be OK. You'd want to check exactly where it is.

The apartments facing the beach are well worth the money even though you can't see the sea because of a stretch of bush. You can hear it though and the trees give shelter from the sometimes strong winds. The road in front is very quiet - hardly any traffic as it's not a through route.

I'm not sure I'd want to pay Mandalay prices for the apartments not on the Beachfront - you could possibly get better value elsewhere if the outlook isn't critical to you.

Enjoy - Port Douglas was a lovely place with heaps to do and not the busyness of Cairns.

Dubai
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandlay or Shalimar in Port Douglas?

Thanks!. Unfortunately both were completely booked.

Cheers

Kas