We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - beach or near town?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - beach or near town?

I've been looking at the websites of the different hotels in the Port Douglas area. Our travel agent has recommended either the Thala Beach or the Shantara (might have spelling wrong). We are looking to do some relaxing in Port Douglas and do enjoy the beach. However, we also would like to walk around at night and see what is going on. I understand there is a town in Port Douglas with things to do. We are not looking to stay at the most expensive resort - what options do people who have been there recommend which is close enough to walk both to town and the beach. Staying on the beach is preferable, but it depends on price.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - beach or near town?

If you Google Map these two properties, you will see that they are both near the beach and the town area of Port Douglas. You could walk to both from either property.

While I have never stayed at either of those two places, they get excellent reviews here on TA. If they are within your budget, I think either would suit.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - beach or near town?

we stayed at Shantara over xmas and it was perfect with no kids under 16 so very relaxing and quiet and the beach is a 5 minute walk also the main street is an easy 3 minute walk. I think Longhorn may be a bit optimistic about walking into town from Thala as its about 15 Km out of town, but they do have a courtesy bus.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - beach or near town?

IMO Shantara has the best location. Thala is out of town & you would need a car.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - beach or near town?

Beach. We always rent an apartment near the beach , so we can get a coffee and go for early morning walks, go to the bakery on the way home. Some places up on the hill are a bit more effort, but I prefer the beach.

Town doesn't really happen - its verrrry laid back, with a few nice places to eat, with music.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - beach or near town?

Have you rented an apartment in PD? I stayed there last year at the port douglas retreat which was nice but will be too small this year as there wil be 4 of us travelling. Can you recommend anything that you have stayed in previously? Janet

south Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - beach or near town?

Quite a few people I met stayed at the sands resort. All good reviews.

Cheers

Mike

7. Re: Where to stay - beach or near town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas