We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBR question

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
GBR question

Hi

First timer on this forum...

We intend to come over from the UK next year and want to experience the reef at the best time of year. Trying to put an itinerary together for the East Coast ...I believe, after initial research that PD is the best place for GBR tours...is this correct ? we also want to experience the Whitsundays.

I have to factor in the schoolies as I have been led to believe the prices hike... same in the UK so I can fully understand this Unsure what times these are . Can anybody help me ?

Many thanks

Happy Travels

KCC

1. Re: GBR question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:11 pm, April 28, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,201 posts
1,441 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBR question

Hi,

Another vote for Port Douglas. Plenty of tours available for snorkeling etc.etc.

www.wavelength.com.au

You can fly direct from Cairns to Hamilton Island (Whitsundays) with Qantas. Its approx 1hr flight or you can drive to Airlie Beach - approx 620 km, 7 hours 55 mins on the National Highway. You could stop off at a few places if you have time available. See link below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

Check with wotif.com/hotels/australia-qld-port-douglas-… for rates & availability.

As mentioned by mangotree Schoolies are more relevant in Sth Qld & Nth NSW.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBR question

Thank you for those replies...

Will digest that road trip info...then will probs get back to you with more questions Ellemay

KCC

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBR question

I believe Kathy is referring to school holidays not our "schoolies" (i.e. end of final year rampages)

I have noticed schoolies becoming a generic term in the UK for the vacation period for all students and their families.

Personally last year I found the July period (not school holidays) was a bit too cold and windy for real enjoyment of the reef. This was the 3rd time wed done a visit between May and Septemeber each have really been too windy to enjoy the reef with the only trips going out being quiksilver. Being a regular visitor I much prefer that period directly after the October school holidays as the water is calmer usually, and the air nice and warm. Rates are generally excellent at this time as the crowds are less and it gives you more flexibility and no OS kids to deal with.

I won't second the drive to Airlie from south the road IMHO is long and boring and the time taken can be best spent in other destinations.

Use wotif only to get an idea of price range and location then book direct with the hotels, 99% time you get a better rate and cancellation policy. it laos doesn't list all accommodation options for the area only the properties who chose to use it.

There is nothing wrong with the booking engine at the top of the forum as it compares a number of sites and prices.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBR question

Thank you for the info re schoolies/school holdays...yes you are right I meant the school holiday breaks..still digesting info...its alot to take in...ie distances to drive,ports of call,how long to stay in each desto.

I know I cant "do it all " in one trip but some things are a must do

1. Sydney

2. Whitsundays

3 Cape Trib/surrounds/GBR from PD

So maybe a flight out of Syd up to Cairns and then hire a car to do the above?

How long is the drive up to PD from Cairns...as I would prefer to stay in PD...after research this place I feel would suit us better...smaller and at a slower pace ...would I be right ?. Plus I dont want to chop and change if the resorts are too close together.What is the best hopping off place for the Whitsundays?

Thanks for heads up on Wotif...already had a look and agree with you about booking direct with the hotels...have had some amazing deals in the past.

Thankyou for your replies..

KCC

6. Re: GBR question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, June 20, 2013