We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-swimmers out in the Great Barrier Reef

los angeles
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Non-swimmers out in the Great Barrier Reef

Hello,

I will be visiting Port Douglas and Cairns in May and would love to snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef. I was just wondering if there are any non-swimmers here who have snorkeled in the outer reef. How was your experience? Were the tour guides helpful and were vests or floating tubes provided? Which tour company did you go with?

Thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,417 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-swimmers out in the Great Barrier Reef

I am a swimmer who has snorkeled the GBR many times with many different companies. I think your best bet will be to go out on a boat such as Quicksilver (from PD) or Reef Magic (from Cairns) that anchors at a fixed pontoon at the Outer Reef. Both of these companies are well-versed with non-swimmers and offer floatation devices, a snorkeling area and qualified staff to watch the area as you snorkel. If you decide that snorkeling is not for you, you can see the Reef via glass bottom boat rides, semi-submersibles trips and underwater observation areas.

Other snorkeling boats, such as Wavelength, have experience with non-swimmers but if you decide snorkeling is not for you, there is nothing for you to do on the boat for the rest of the day. You'll have many more options with Quicksilver or Reef Magic.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-swimmers out in the Great Barrier Reef

Quicksilver (out of Port Douglas) suited our group very well, we had a non-swimmer who enjoyed the glass bottom boat and my youngest son did his first snorkeling. You might also appreciate the ride on a wave piercing cat, it's smoother than other boats in choppy conditions.

Edited: 7:57 pm, March 05, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-swimmers out in the Great Barrier Reef

Check with your tour boat when you book but most will have some type of vest or flotation device for non-swimmers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-swimmers out in the Great Barrier Reef

Another recommendation for Quicksilver, if you have a non swimmer this tour is the best suited to thier needs and its pretty good if you are prone to sea sickness as it is very stable being a twin hulled Catamaran.

5. Re: Non-swimmers out in the Great Barrier Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 pm, June 18, 2013