We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

Has anyone stayed at the Rendezvous Reef Resort in Port Douglas? They have great rates on Expedia for our trip to the GBR in May 06. Any input is appreciated.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

This is the old Rydges Reef Resort(also Radisson Reef Resort) - I heard Rendezvous was taking over management of this property and they are actually quite a good company - will just depend on the staff they put in here. Prior reputations got a bit shabby, rooms were tired and very small. We have been waiting to see if Rendezvous will upgrade the rooms and overall resort look but apparently time will tell.

The Hotel Rooms on this property were really small, but the villas, as not at all flash, gave you lots of space. I saw that the room rates if booked directly with Rendezvous Hotels Web Site started at $79A per night for the 1BR Unit, and you are dealing directly with the hotel vs Expedia, which has large cancel penalties.

Port Douglas is quite $$ to start with, so this may be a really good option for you, as long as you understand you are getting an older and not quite buffed up property.

Travelport, have you given it a look yet?

Dallas
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

Thanks for the input BigFishLittleFish - it was very helpful. I know there are several choices for lodging in Port Douglas as well as surrounding areas. While we are in the area - we plan to take a daytrip to the GBR, the Daintree rainforest and Kuranka (sp?) - so I'm not sure how much we will actually be at the hotel so it doesn't have to be plush but should be nice. It will be the last hotel of our trip so we want to have a good hotel memory. Any other suggestions for hotels in the area around $100-$130AUD a night? Would you stay in Port Douglas as opposed to Cairns?

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

I am very pro Cairns, but it doesnt always work for everyone - understandable. PD is just a fantastic place and recommend it to those that wish a lovely, laid back, resort environment. May should be fairly quiet so a perfect way to end your Aussie holiday.

If you wish to have a 'memory' of your last hotel in Australia...or should I say, a good memory, best pass on that property until we all know it is back to par again. Its actually quite a bit from the main area of PD with all the great restaurants etc. A car would be wise as there is so much to do and see in PD surrounds.

Suggestions for that dollar amount per night - look at Garrick House -studio Apt. Really close, no frills but clean and well run.

Travelport probably has a few others as well - I think that budget may be a bit low for PD so can you stretch it a bit??

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

Hello to both of you, and BFLF you're absolutely correct. Word is, stay away from Rendezvous for a while until this property has been cleaned up.Needs a major revamp, most of af all, a major clean.(I'm sorry to be so direct, but you should know this).

May 6 until towards the 21st of May,will be relatively quiet and I would think that you'll be able to get some excellent rates on a walk in basis or through last minute sites or just email some for good rates.

Again as BFLF mentions, Garrick House is a good choice, a no frills property but excellent location(one street back from the beach)and always looks tidy and clean.

There are also many others in town and around that price range look at places like Martinique and Coral Sea Villas,these two are side by side and also a stone's throw from the beach and town centre.

In town look at Palm Villas, one street back from main town centre,again, no frills but clean and tidy property, or Macrossan House in the centre of main street.

Not sure how many in your party, last two mentioned are really only for couples.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

Yes it only the two of us so a couples places is great. We are not partial to PD or Cairns - had just heard that we should stay in PD. I was thinking that Cairns was more city like. My first number was probably a little low - more realistic is probably more like - $160 AUD/night. Can you give me BFLF - can you give me the pros/cons of the two different places?

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

have you thought of looking at 'At the mango tree' at Port Dougals???

1 bedroomer can be as low as $100 a night.not absolute beachfrontage, just 8 min walk away.

go to their website www.mango-tree-port-douglas.com

good luck

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

Gosh, how do you explain the difference between two towns?

Cairns - a city - large population yet small tropical town - a great feel! Most residents live and work in the suburbs, which now sprawl north, west and south of Cairns city. The largest concentration of area that would be your interest would be Cairns city which spans around a 6 block area. The waterfront is a harbour, not a beach, but the entire waterfront restoration project has turned it in to a lovely place. The entire Esplanade (main street that runs along the waterfront) is dotted with hotels and cafes. There is a lot of concrete and more every day with highrises springing up as we speak. It used to be a sleepy little fishing village and then the word got out. Cairns is loaded with visitors ranging from 8 to 80 yearround, and heavy with 18-28 backpackers. Its a young/young at heart type of town with literaly tons to do by day or by night. Don't get me wrong, its no Miami Beach - I constantly have friends say they want to move to Cairns so there has to be something they are doing right!

Port Douglas - very small quaint charming tropical community with the most stunning stretch of beach (4 mile beach). Its only an hour away from Cairns, yet a world away. The overall costs of staying in PD vs Cairns is a bit higher, but just enough to keep away the throngs of backpackers trying to live on $20 a day. The restaurants are superb in PD, shopping is getting better, but its all about resting and relaxing. Its extremely laid back so expect to entertain yourselves. No clubs, no malls. Sort of a 'one horse town' that you can sink in to total bliss. Even if you find a place off the beaten path, it's still probably only a mile from 4 mile beach.

Both have wonderful accessibility to day tours, but PD may have some surcharges as the fuel is $$ to collect you from PD to get you to Cairns. If you have a car (suggest) you can always drive to Cairns and a meeting place where a tour company can collect you.

Overall these two places are my favorite on the planet and you can't go wrong with either. It will depend on what you two are seeking in the last few days of your holiday.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

Hi BFLF,

Just had to write to say that I couldn't have worded your last reply better.

Thank you as always for your contributions,it's always a hard task to say exactly the correct thing and know exactly what people's expectations are.

From one advisor to another...thanks...

Dallas
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

Thanks so much BFLF - such a great explanation. Now I'll just have to decide which env appeals to us more for this portion of our trip.