We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day cruise

ALJ
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Day cruise

My fiance and I are going to Australia in November 2006 - can't wait! Since neither of us are able to dive, we would like to go out to the Great Barrier Reef on a day cruise. We are staying at Port Douglas for 5 nights. Which cruise trip is highly recommended? At the moment we're looking at Quicksilver/helicopter ride tour.

Blue Dive Port Douglas
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Brett's Outback Tasting Adventures
Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Daintree Tours
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Updraught Microlights and Hang Gliders
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours
gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day cruise

Have you looked into introductory dives? No experience necessary, just a few medical questions and some training and you're ready to go.

I've been with Silver Sonic from Port Douglas. They go to 3 reefs and it's a relatively small boat. Had a fantastic time.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day cruise

Are there any particular amenities you wish to have on your day trip/once you get to the reef??

Quicksilver - jet cats to the reef/permanent platform w/underwater viewing center, semi sub, snorkel trail, buffet lunch, sun deck. Due to the size of the boat and floating city they do take the highest numbers of any of the day boat trips.

Silversonic - also owned by the Quicksilver group - brand new boat - will go to 3 different snorkel/dive sites on Agincourt Reef.

Poseidon - great company for snorkel and dive - will average 60 people on board. Again, will hit 3 different sites at Agincourt Reef.

Wavelength - gets the best reviews on this forum and takes 30 snorkelers max.

You can trust any of the above so will just depend on size of boat and amenities you will require on your day trip.

Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas