We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef Tours - Can you help

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reef Tours - Can you help

Hi, Planning on visiting in April. Not intending on diving but we will snorkell. Any recommendations for trips? Is it best to book beforehand or whilst we are in PD? Any advice would be great. Thanks

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef Tours - Can you help

Hi again Dowlo!! Where are you staying in cairns?

We stayed at the Novotel which was great. Wasn't on the beach but was only a 5 minute walk away.

We went on quicksilver to the outer barrier reef for a day trip which was just great. Husband and boys did some snorkling. I actually preferred spending the time on the steel pomtoon eating the buffet and walking across the underwater walkway. The fish and reef were amazing.

Another trip we enjoyed was a day trip to cape Tribulation, Daintree and mossman Gorge.The beach was so unspoilt with such natural beaty. We had coffee at a rainforest treehouse and walked across the walkway viewing some of the rainforest. It was fascinating. we also went croc spotting in a boat ( about 24 to each boat) got up fairly close to these fearful reptiles. Had lunch in the rainforest in an open air buffet.

Next time we do cairns i think we will opt to stay nearer the rainforest and then consider a reef island resort. We stayed in palm Cove of which i loved. very quiet and pretty.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef Tours - Can you help

You have heaps of choices in the PD / Cairns area. Wavelength gets great reviews, small boat and fantastic customer service. Quicksilver is a tourism awardwinner with permanent platform, underwater viewing center and semi sub - also carries 400 people. Something in between would be Poseidon or Silverswift(Quicksilver's new boat). In April, suggest pre booking if you choose Wavelength as it sells out in advance due to size. If you have several days, you may wish to wait and watch the weather.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,681 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reef Tours - Can you help

I've gone on 5 snorkeling trips with Wavelength and they are the best. They carry a maximum of 30 people, but oftentimes it is less. They are popular, so I would advise booking in advance. If you are have some flexibility, I would suggest checking the weather conditions and then going by their office to book. They will honestly tell you which is the best day weatherwise for a trip to the reef. If your time in PD is limited, definitely book before you go.

The trip out to the reef on their boat takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. There is a marine biologist on board who gives lots of info on what you will see while snorkeling. If you have never snorkeled before, they are great about making you feel comfortable about the experience. They offer foam noodles for free (for buoyancy) and wetsuits rent for about A$5.00. (I highly recommend getting the wetsuit for warmth and buoyancy.) You will visit 3 different locations on the reef and on the 2nd stop, the marine biologist will conduct a guided tour. Even though I have done this trip 5 times, I usually go on the guided tour because the marine biologists can spot things I would never see on my own. After the 2nd stop, there is a delicious cold buffet.

Wavelength will take good care of you and I've always had a good trip out to the reef with them.

UK
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reef Tours - Can you help

Thanks Everyone