We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

port douglas easter break

sydney
8 posts
Save Topic
port douglas easter break

i want to take my wife for a romantic break over the easter long weeekend. i wanted to know what the weather will be like in port douglas, will beach swimming be okay, what resort accomodation is recommended (i am willing to spend a little extra), and any other advice you may have (esp travelport please)

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: port douglas easter break

Thanks astragalus,and I'll try and assist you with some information.

First may I say,that you have a fortunate wife or should I say she has a wonderful husband...

Easter long weekend 14- 17 April should be right in the middle of school holidays for most states.Being just the two of you and being a romantic break, I would try and stay away from the more family orientated resorts.

If you'd like to stay in Port Douglas itself, the two resorts that don't cater for children under the age of 15 are Peninsula or The Meridien.

Both nice resorts,Peninsula having the added bonus of being on the esplanade, they have a restaurant on site,you have options of ocean view and pool view and the entrance is in a relatively quiet street.

The Meridien,is situated on the main street into Port Douglas,possibly noisy at times, but you can always ask for a room at the back.It is a newer resort than the Peninsula has some apartments which have a timber deck and you can swim directly out into the pool.

Both resorts have apartments with spas,for that extra touch,both within the same walking distance to the main centre of town, it will probably end up being a matter of pricing and choice.

Personally even though The Meridien is relatively new, I would prefer Peninsula,but that's my choice.

Now, out of town and more secluded is Thala Lodge or Silky Oaks Lodge.If you plan on hiring a car and don't mind the odd drive to and from Port Douglas,or catching a shuttle, then they are the best two to pick from.

They are both bungalow style, Thala on the Beach and Silky Oaks on the banks of the Mossman River.

Some of Thala's bungalows are located a fair walk from the reception, pool area,and some a little steep but that adds more to the ambience and privacy of it all.Great location, some bungalows with better views than others,they have set up a room for day spas and massages, good restaurant, great pool and I believe they are in the process of upgrading a few things around the resort and offering guests a little more in their new package which is all due to start as at 1st April. So they may be worth contacting.To get to Port Douglas,you will need transfers by shuttle bus or a 15 minute drive by car.

Silky Oaks is renowned for their spas,and like Thala, their location and privacy.Their bungalows are all set spasmodically in a rainforest environment.They offer daily shuttle service to and from Port Douglas, so if you don't have a hire car, you're not so isolated,again if you have a car it's about 20 to 25 minutes drive from Port Douglas.

Added bonus,is that you don't need to be at the beach to have a swim as you are on the bank of the Mossman River and able to swim whenever.

Down side if it's raining,plenty of mossies.

Thala and Silky Oaks both accept children within an age limit of around 12(may need to check this)but having said that, they don't normally have children there.

Weather should still be quite warm and if it's still raining, the humidity could be quite high, although many people agree that Easter is a great time in Port Douglas.

Net enclosure at the beach should still be in place and are sometimes there until end of April.

Water temperature should be glorious,around the 25 degree mark, so it should be great for snorkelling or diving.

For a special treat,book into Nautilus Restaurant,they had a few hiccups with service over past couple of months but getting good reviews again around town.

I'm certain there's plenty more you may need to know,so just ask.

sydney
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: port douglas easter break

thanks travelport. i will look into the suggestions you have made. i may be in touch with other questions also!

sydney
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: port douglas easter break

ive looked into the peninsula and meridien... i will be happier (read more able to afford happily) something a little cheaper. what say you of the radisson? what recommendations for reef trips, and what are soem other nice activities around port douglas? thanks all

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: port douglas easter break

Radisson Treetops is fine, but a little out of town centre,so you will require a shuttle bus each time you go into town, around $2.50 each way. p.p. Gets relatively good feedback.

I would next suggest the Outrigger Heritage,but not sure what their rates are like, worth a look.

Others perhaps look at Hibiscus Gardens and Regal Port Douglas.

These are virtually in town and close to everything.

For reef trip,will depend on whether you'dlike a dive or happy to snorkel only.

If you're thinking of diving, then try Poseidon or HABA and if you're planning only on snorkelling,then go with Wavelength.They are a snorkel boat only max.30 on board,and great crew with marine biologist on board.

The next thing is to visit our oldest living rainforest in the world. The Daintree.

You can hire a car and save a few dollars and I can help you with where to go, or if you really want to get the most out of your day then go with Tony's Tropical Tours, they like Wavelength are a small operation and only travel with 6 on board and will make sure you see it all and get the most out of the day.

Being Australian,I would perhaps omit the Tjapukai/Kuranda thing,(unless you'd like to visit there)I find them most touristy,sorry,but my opinion.

If the weather is great,and I do hope it is, then try an afternoon sail to low Isles, it really is quite magical.There is a boat that looks like a chinese junk,and it leaves around 11.30 am for an afternoon sail to Low Isles,leaving Low Isles, after the bigger opearators are gone and you get the island to yourself for around 1 and half hours, truly magical, sailing back at sunset with a glass of champagne or a cold beer.

Also,visit the Ironbar for an evening meal, and stay for the toad races, great fun, even for us Aussies.

Plenty of great restaurants in town, if you really want to impress your wife, book in at Nautilus, it has come good again after a few hiccups with their service and the food really is great.

There are heaps of day spas in town, Couthouse Hotel should have some bands,always great for a relaxing afternoon,especially on a Sunday after the local markets, or venture over to Salsa Bar and Grill for lunch after the markets,makes a great day.

You won't be bored,there's plenty to do around town. An afternoon drink at the Combined Club is a treat,very ordinary place with the best view,go there on an afternoon around 3.30 pm and watch all the boats come in. You can also eat there, although new menu and I'm not sure what it's like yet.

Hope you find the right place and let me know if I can be of more help.