We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which beach is best?

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
148 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which beach is best?

We will be in North Queensland in August 2006. We are a family of 5 with certified scuba divers. We are interested in diving and rainforest exploration. Have narrowed our location to Oak Beach, Port Douglas, or Newell Beach. Beachfront is essential. Which beach is best? We have looked at private villas and resorts. Having never been before we need advice.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which beach is best?

Oak Beach is south of Port Douglas and is lovely and very very private.Small strip of houses right on the beach and not used by many others. You'll need a vehicle to get in and out of Port Douglas,drive time 15 minutes each way.

Newell Beach is 20-25 minutes drive time north of Port Douglas. A small community, lots of families, caravan park and shop. Beach front doesn't compare with oak Beach or Port Douglas.(Not my pick)

Port Douglas, is where it all is, beach, restaurants,night life and all else.Not too many absolute beachfront places, like Oak Beach, but if you can get one,you'll be in paradise and have it all.

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which beach is best?

have just booked a beach front house at newell beach. after reading your review, i'm worried. i like nice beaches!

i will try to change to oak beach. if i'm unsuccessful, is newell beach really that bad? are you referring to the state of the sand, water, trees? what is it exactly that doesn't appeal to you?

i will be travelling with husband and 2 small children.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which beach is best?

ILuvtotravel,

Newell Beach is a lovely small community north of Port Douglas. Drive time 20-25 minutes each way, so I guess you'll need to consider this with 2 children and if planning to spend most of your time in and around Port Douglas or drive in for evening meals, etc.

Beach is not netted, although I believe you are here in July, so that shouldn't be a problem. Beach is only a small stretch and not patrolled (by lifeguards) and seems to drop away quite quickly, close to the shore.I don't believe the beach is anywhere near as great as Four Mile Beach in Port Douglas, , although it will most probably be less crowded.

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
148 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which beach is best?

I still have not decided between an oak beach villa and 4 mile beach. I have narrowed it down to oak beach boathouse and the beach house on oak beach versus beaches resort or mandalay/shalimar in Port Douglas.

Does any one have any thoughts or experince?

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which beach is best?

Jan 06 We have just returned from 11 days at Newell Beach. Rented villa 9 Olive that is right on the bech from Ulysses Getaways. Absolutely great place very quite and peaceful. Port Douglas 15/20 minutes by car and plenty of taxis.

It was great to eat breakfast right on the beach or a late night drink. Did not try the sea as it was stinger season.

The scenery is marvellous and we will go again

Missouri City, Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which beach is best?

Lyndene: I am sorry - what is the name of the hotel that you stayed at on the beach?