We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many choices!!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
So many choices!!

I am trying to work out the best option for a 30th birthday treat. We wil beup in the cairns / pd area from the 5th January. My partners birthday is on the 9th and I was aiming to spend from the 5th - 8th exploring and then get somewhere special & more luxurious for 3 nights to relax - the query is where? I have looked at the sheraton, thala and also dunk island, alternatively should we fly out elsewhere? (Hamilton? Ayres rock?) My budget is about £600 (we will already have done sydney earlier & are doing the coast later). Any suggestions pls?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: So many choices!!

Hi billybean.

I'm certain you will get hundreds of suggestions..

My three- Lizard island,but I'm not sure whether 600 pounds will cover it.

Thala Beach Lodge

Silky Oaks lodge

Goodluck...

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many choices!!

Thank you travelport. I will have a look at those. Will the weather be ok at that time of year? It's just that i've hear it gets very hot and humid but we would like to stay up in the area, I think.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many choices!!

Hi Travelport and others! I've looked at Lizard Island and that is definately too much although I like the idea of an island expereince. I've also checked out Thala and Kewarra, which one do you think is better? and would Port Douglas be a better place to chill or Palm Cove? (We will have been budget / stayin in hostels before this.) Thank you.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: So many choices!!

Hi again billybean,

Thala and Kewarra are both same owners,and both run same and both great resorts.

Thala is my favourite of the two.

Close to Port Douglas, quiet and a must for R.and R., although you are a little isolated.If you want to go into Port Douglas, you will need to drive in/out each time.Also being January, you won't be able to swim at the beach there as there are no net enclosures.

Palm Cove is a good option. It's also a great spot and you can walk everywhere, has great restaraunts in the vicinity and also great for some R. and R.,but not so isolated.Has a great beach and has net enclosures,if you want to have a swim.

Some great accomodation available at Palm Cove. Try a post on Palm Cove Forum and I'm sure you'll get some great feedback.

Good luck with the planning and come back to me if you need more info.