We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

SITGES...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

Please, I need help, after needing change my plans for the tsunami at sudeast asia, I try to find quickly another optional for last 5 days after new zealand trip.

I'm looking for a chill out and beach relax, also want to visit Cape tripulation and Daintree, but I have a problem it will be at midle february, is it rainy season at all the area?, then is it a worth to visit, or the rain doesn't disturb your stay? are all day rainy or shower?? could you tell me something about, please??

As regards to the lodges, I'm looking something special

Anybody knows Thala beach?

Dunk Island looks also nice? wich is better?

could you reccommend any other good and intimate lodge at this area or nearby islands??

I'll be very gratefull for your information and help, I really need it, because I'm harry to buy the tickets with changes at last time and I start my trip next 23 january.

please, could you help me????? THANKS VERY MUCH

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

Thala beach Lodge is beautiful but quite isolated...unless you want about 1/2hr trip to eat etc you need to eat there. (Get a car). I would chose this before Dunk.

My next choice would be Bedarra (very expensive ($1000+ a day all meals and drinks) no easy options to Daintree. Ideal to chill out. Bedarra would be my first choice if cost was no consideration.

Weather is typical wet...sudden downpour brilliant sunshine short period. Still very warm, daintree may get some flooding depending upon how heavy the rain is.

There are some other lodges in the Daintree..Coconut beach (?) and the Eco Lodge. I'm sure theyll have websites if you search.

Hope this helps.

The Tsunami has affected many peoples plans (including ours) so ecisions will definitely need to be made quickly.

SITGES...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

thank you very much GurusWife for your post and information.

I'm sorry, but I have some difficult to understead english very well, then I tell you again what I couldn't be sure to understead,

The rain at this area is half wet with short rain and half with sunshine? I couldn't understead if the rain is short or the sunshine time is short.

It is important to know thala is quite beautiful, because one couldn't see too many details of the rooms, the landscape and seascape looks really nice at the web. You tell that there is a bit difficult because it is quite isoled..? the web of thala beach at oaks beach tell Port douglas is 10 minutes driving? is it not true GurusWife? .

After this, yes Bedarra looks very nice too but really I think too much expensive if the weather is not very good and no easy to visit Daintree ant Cape Tribulation, I think this is worth to visit, do you think is it right?

As regards those other resorts, coco and eco, yes bouth have web page and I have seen, but I guess thala looks more calm and less people at the beaches.

Do you know or hear about Dunks Island too?. The beach and the surrounding island at the web poresorts.com looks also very nice and good sport facilities, but may be the ambient and instalations looks less cozy than Thala.

My last question: do you know any other area at the east coast australia where I could find something similar with more sure weather?

GurusWife, I'm sorry very much if the sad devastation of the soudeast asia has affected your plans too. It has been really terrible for all the people there, locals and tourist. I had plan and reserved Rayavadee in Krabi, but I have not any notice from the resort, and my information is that the area has been seriously affected.

I'm very gratefull to you for all information and I'll be very grateful again if you could tell me something about all one more time, please.

Have you decided your changes allready?

but do you think thala is better

Bloomfield, MI
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

My daughter and I were in Port Douglas the end of November 2004 and loved the little town. Our only disappointment was that it was "stinger" (poisonous jellyfish) season and swimming was only safe in very small netted areas. The stings are not only painful but lethal so even though the beaches are beautiful you just don't swim in the ocean. We did take a diving class through Tech Dive in town and went scuba diving 2 days. We went out on the boat "Posideon" which was great. You can go out with them and just snorkel. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. We stayed at a condo close to town called "Mandalay"-www.mandalay.com.au. It was very nice and clean with a beautiful pool. The front desk booked activities for no extra charge. I am planning on going back with my husband in the future.

Bloomfield, MI
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

My daughter and I were in Port Douglas the end of November 2004 and loved the little town. Our only disappointment was that it was "stinger" (poisonous jellyfish) season and swimming was only safe in very small netted areas. The stings are not only painful but lethal so even though the beaches are beautiful you just don't swim in the ocean. We did take a diving class through Tech Dive in town and went scuba diving 2 days. We went out on the boat "Posideon" which was great. You can go out with them and just snorkel. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. We stayed at a condo close to town called "Mandalay"-www.mandalay.com.au. It was very nice and clean with a beautiful pool. The front desk booked activities for no extra charge. I am planning on going back with my husband in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

I would chose Thala if you have a car. Only a long way if you must use the bus.

It is about the same rain and sun. The rain can be very heavy for a short time. Then the sun will shine.

Dunk is more for families. So might be noisy.

On your other post I suggested Kim's Towoon Bay. About 90 mins north of Sydney. Not as quiet beach as up north.

Our plans are not finished, we were to stop in Phuket to visit someone we know who lives there. It is more important they are alive, for which I give thanks.

SITGES...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

THANKS A LOT BOUTH Villaqequilter and Guruswife, I'm very grateful to recived your information, and please, accept my apologie for haven't read you earlier, but some spywares into my PC did not work correctly my internet conection. Now it is right and I can read all your advisements. THANKS!

Villaqequilter, this is exactly the problem that I'm reading in the guides. Half february will be a wet season and this nice area is plenty of poisonous jellyfish!!!!, but you tell me that even with them you could go for snorkell at the great barier, then i have a very IMPORTANT QUESTION: What's happen, there are not jellyfish in the islands of the barrier and are they only in the coast???? then I could choose some of the nice islands???????PLEASE IF YOU COULD TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT IT, IT WILL BE A GREAT HELP FOR ME. MANY MANY THANKS, I HOPE YOU COULD READ MY POST ONE MORE TIME..

GURUSWIFE, I'm really gratefull to you for all options ans to stay thinking about my questions, THANKS VERY VERY MUCH, Yes I think thala beach could be a good choise looking for a secluded area, and have easy access to Daintree and 16km from Port Douglas, it looks PERFECT! BUT BIG PROBLEM with JELLYFISH SEASON, then I ask you for the same that earlier poster THERE ARE NOT THIS PROBLEM IN THE ISLANDS OF THE GREAT BARRIER????????

I HAVE ALSO READ THAT SOUTHEM PART THERE IS NOT THIS PROBLEM, THEN I FOUND YOUR KIM LODGE it is member of small and luxury hotels and looks very nice, if this area is safe to swimming i decide to go there, but please COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE THE JELLYFISH AND MOST WET SEASON HAPPEN??

THANKS VERY VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

jelly fish are washed out of the Northern Estauries (rivers) and onto the coastal beaches during the wet season. They are not usually found off the coast at the reef.

As they are tropical creatures they are only found in Norhtern waters (ie near the reef) so the area south from Noosa is not affected. This includes Kims as it is over 1000k away from the jellyzone.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,441 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

Sorry, forgot. NSW does not get a wet season. Your chance of rain is reasonably low.

Port Douglas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

I am currently in Port Douglas, and the weather is humid. The days are sunny. About a week ago, for a whole week it rained daily. But it has turned out to be fine weather for the past few days and looks set to continue the same.

I am staying in holiday apartments - The Lychee Tree, and they are reasonably priced. They are close to town, beach, and within easy drive to Daintree, Mossman Gorge, and Cape Tribulation. About an hour north of Cairns.

Hope this helps.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: i need help:thala beach lodge or could you recommended any...

Sotavent, hope you have a great trip. You have received some great advice and I can see that you are concerned about the jellyfish and rightly so. As Guruswife was explaining they are located along the beaches and mainly around the northern part of Qld. If you come down to the Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast areas they are only rarely seen and then south again in NSW and they are not a problem.

The Barrier Reef itself is quite some distance offshore, so usually the jellyfish are not a problem. It is also good it is a fair way offshore because the crocodiles don't swim out that far either. It isn't the best time of the year to head up there and depends on what you really want to do. If you want to swim in the wonderful beaches, anywhere from Sydney to Noosa would be fine. I loved the definition of the rain and GW's explanation. It is heavy rain but there is still plenty of sunshine but it is very, very humid, so a bit uncomfortable doing the rainforest trips and such. Hope you have a great holiday. Hope it is warm in NZ as they have had snow on their mountains it has been very cold there.