We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rented car in Cairns ?

Adelaide
1 post
Save Topic
Rented car in Cairns ?

We are going to cairns for a week in September. We love walking in rain forests and on beaches, snorkling but not diving. Could you help us planning out holiday? Would a rented car help or should we need to take commercial tours (because of unsealrd roads), Is it recomended to stay in one place or travel and stay every day in another location ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,521 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rented car in Cairns ?

Most of the great spots are outside Cairns so rent a car it is easy to drive to Port Douglas, daintree etc. Cairns is pretty central to everything. Maybe stay a night at Port Douglas, that way you can enjoy a drive to Cape Tribulation. Look at website for added attractions. Its been a few years since i've been there. Maybe other Tripadvisors will aid you....soon with better advice than myself.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rented car in Cairns ?

Driving in the Far North, is relatively easy.

You don't say when in September,you will be there, so perhaps consider that School Holidays in Australia begin 8th September and go to mid October, so you may find it difficult in some places to get accommodation on a walk in basis.

If you are planning a tour to the reef and only snorkel, go with Wavelength from Port Douglas, they only have snorkellers on board (no divers), small grioup of around 30 people, so you have their constant attention all day.

If you want to see the Daintree Rainforest, you can easily drive yourself there with a local map but you won't get much out of it unless you go with a commercial operator, who has the knowledge and the best private sites.

A day travelling to the Atherton Tablelands would be abnother must.This is a great area with loads of things to see.Again a local map will help you out once you arrive. (All these maps should be free at your local resort/tourist information).If you are based in Cairns, perhaps spend a day around Mission Beach. There are some great spots on the way, perhaps someone with more knowledge on the Cairns/South area can help.

Happy holidays.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
253 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rented car in Cairns ?

hi there Hari 1

as UK travellers we hired a car at Cairns for our visit to that area of QLD - we stayed at Palm Cove but travelled up to Port Douglas and found the driving was very easy. I would agree that taking the commercial tours is advisable because they can take you to more restricted areas and they can give you more local knowledge than doing it yourselves. I wouldn't stay every day in another location but then again I don't know what kind of traveller you are - we were a family so that's different.