We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing from Port Douglas

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
96 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing from Port Douglas

We are going to be in Port the end of September. My husband and I are interested in big game fishing. Any charter recommendations for day trips?

Thank you

Deb

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,396 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing from Port Douglas

Dragonlady....sent my men on her and they had a great time...almost everyone else (the other 4 people) were return customers...

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing from Port Douglas

If you are seriously into big game fishing chasing marlin you usually have to book the entire boat and there are many to choose going from Cairns/Pt Douglas. A great site to check the options is http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page4-1.html. September is prime time but trying to hook one of these prizes in one day is optimistic. Another option is to "bottom bash" the reef where you'll have better odds of picking up something large and lively and there will be pelagics around like Spanish Mackerel and Tuna.

Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing from Port Douglas

You could try Fishing Norseman - this leaves from Port Douglas.

Heavy Tackle is September - December - there are good ones that leave from Cairns like Billfish, Sportsfishing Cairns etc.