We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rydges Reef Resort

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
111 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Rydges Reef Resort

I have recently booked a 3 night stay at the Rydges Reef Resort, Port Douglas.......is it OK? Have I done the right thing!?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rydges Reef Resort

I have stayed there in a 2-bedroom apartment and it was VERY nice. The grounds are nice with 2 pools and a separate lap pool. There is also a nice exercise facility. The only drawbacks are that the closest beach access is a bit of a schlep (we would drive) and that it is too far from town to walk. However, there is a good bus system if you do not have a car. I am sure you will enjoy it there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rydges Reef Resort

The hotel section is desperately in need of a refurb.. rooms are very small and mouldy bathrooms. Unless you are travelling with kids and need enetertainment I'd honestly look elsewhere. We stayed in 2002 and my parents in 2004 (we stayed elsewhere but obviously visited them in their room). The tennis court was covered in sand (it's fake grass) I'm talking layers on the back line and were very slippery. It was almost impossible to use the gym facilites as it has membership for locals and is one of the few gyms in town.

I hate to spoil your party but I think you can do better.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rydges Reef Resort

I agree with GW - the standard rooms are so tiny, that two people can hardly move around at the same time. The resort has been fantastic with service back when it was a Radisson, but with the Rydges name on it, the cutbacks must have been in staffing. The restaurant is fair at best and I guess the best thing is the pool area, but heck, anyone can pull off a nice pool area. The hotel used to offer a shuttle to/from the town center, but never seems to run on YOUR schedule. Best to find somewhere right in the town center area if budget allows. Try Hibiscus Gardens, Breakfree resorts, Outrigger etc.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rydges Reef Resort

Thanks for the info. My travel agent is offering me the Reef Club or Radisson Treetops which, from what I can read on TripAdvisor, sound a lot better.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rydges Reef Resort

Radisson treetops is a little further out of town but has just had a refurb. so should be nice .

launceston
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rydges Reef Resort

dont worry too much about where you have booked. port is one of the most fantastic places in the world. has one of those main streets that you can walk down every day and not be bored. check out the pub for a meal and try sitting up ton the verandah you will have a good time sneak into the mirage for a quick swim. you can also swim at ridges there are 5-6 pools and the staff wouldnt know if you are a guest or not! ( but i would only bother with this if you have children)

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rydges Reef Resort

Rydges Reef Resort is way past its use by date. Treetops is better especially if you can get one of the executive apartments at the back of the complex. Much quieter, 5 star finish and only a few minutes to the beach with carparking outside

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rydges Reef Resort

If you really want to experience Port Douglas (or anywhere like Noosa, etc), you are better off finding an apartment which is walking distance to restaurants, shopping and the beach. All of the resorts at PD require a car to get to the town centre so you end up spending most of your free time there and not seeing what the place has to offer. The up side of the resorts is they have big, licenced pools! Apartments are around $150/day (I'm staying in one this weekend in fact). You can find plenty with a dynamic map at this site:

racq.com.au/cps/…2933_ENA_HTML.htm

If this link doesn't work go to www.racq.com.au and click on the travel planner and follow your nose.