We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for young family in Port Douglas in August

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations for young family in Port Douglas in August

We will be in Port Douglas in August with our 2 boys aged 2 and 6 and would love accomadation and day trip recommendations from anyone who has been there with kids.

Many thanks!

Port Douglas
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for young family in Port Douglas in August

Hi Joseph&Henrysmum,

As August is part of our busy season I would look at booking your accommodation relatively soon.Here are a couple of suggestions in the middle of the price range apartment type accommodation that I know are kid friendly, having swimming pools, tennis courts, lots of area for the kids to run around.

Mango Tree, Tropical Nites, Lychee Tree. These are all run by the owners of the complex.A short bike ride to town. Rendezvous Resort has townhouses, it also has the same facilities plus a restaurant, mini shop, it is further out of town and run by a large resort chain. Closer into town there is Beaches, Driftwood/Mantray, Tropical Reef Apartments. You will have to check with all of them in regards to availability, as we have a major american tv movie series being filmed in the area, I know they have tied up alot of accommodation. But who knows, you might see Tom Hanks walking the streets.

As for Tours, for the reef I'd go with Quicksilver, it is the biggest reef operator, it has a nice pontoon that they use, giving the kids more area to walk around on and more facilities. For trips to the Daintree Rainforest, of the small operators, I'd wouldn't look at Tony's Tropical Tours, De Luxe Safaris or Daintree Discovery Tours as they are not really kid friendly tours, all stating in their brochures, their child age starts at 8yrs unless you want to do a Private Charter which cost alot more than their general tours. Gary's Safaris & Daintree Safaris child age starts at 4yrs old. I would say that Gary's Safaris would be the child friendlier of the two. With this company, kids under 4yrs are Free. You can also arrange with them for booster seats or baby seat, for the kids free of charge.Their web sites are http:\\ garyssafaris.com.au. or http:\\daintreesafaris.com.Also look at the Tourism Tropical North Qld Assc. web site, where you can book & secure pay online for pretty much everything, your accommodation & your tours. It is http:\\tropicalaustralia.com.au

I hope this helps you plan your trip.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for young family in Port Douglas in August

Definintely plan to spend several hours at the Rainforest Habitat. This is an animal park under a huge "tent", so that the birds can fly and the animals (except such things as crocs and cassowaries) can roam around. It might be nice to go to the "Breakfast with the Birds" with your kids. They offer a hot and cold buffet breakfast and the birds are often flying about. I don't know if this would frighten your 2-year-old, but generally the birds keep to themselves (excpet we did have lorikeets trying to take a bite of jam.) You might check their website to see if this would be something that would interest your kids.

3. Re: Recommendations for young family in Port Douglas in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 01, 2009