We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef Encounter or Wavelength

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
10 posts
Save Topic
Reef Encounter or Wavelength

Hi, I've read quite a number of posts and concluded that these 2 tours are the best.

However, now I'm in a dilemma which one to go for. I should be spending a couple of days each in Cairns and Port Douglas, so location is not a factor.

Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

William

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
840 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef Encounter or Wavelength

Hi, I'm sure you would enjoy either one. We don't know what age group you are or whether you intend snorkelling or diving. Are you an experienced snorkler/diver?

Presume you are talking about just doing Day trip on Reef Encounter?

This one goes to Michelmas Cay which is a pretty, sandy island and bird sanctuary. Have been there with Ocean Spirit - lot more inexperienced and first-time snorkellers. This is a good place to be a novice as you can easily get to the beach.

Have been on Wavelength too a few years ago - was smaller, more experienced snorkellers and divers.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef Encounter or Wavelength

Hi new Asia,

Wavelength is much more smaller and therefore more personalised. They can offer better assistance and tuition to beginner snorkellers because of these small numbers. Also they select their sites for snorkellers and not divers- their sites are shallower and more protected.

Wavelength is a one day trip to the outer reef and you will visit three differenct sites in the one day.

Any boat that takes divers cannot cater specifically for the needs of snorkellers- divers need to be at depth, snorkellers need to be shallow....

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reef Encounter or Wavelength

Had a great time snorkeling with reef encounter. Was on a 2 day 1 night liveaboard and saw a ton of stuff.

See my golist:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i5317-Traveling…

cheers

Kenny

YorkshirePennines
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reef Encounter or Wavelength

I think that Acquagirl has given you some good advice here, we also selected this boat. Myself and my wife are both divers and we have one key rule which also works for non-divers:

Visit the various companies - in Port Douglas they are all grouped around the harbor - ask questions about facilities, staff numbers, the number of people already booked on the trip etc.

In our case we booked the night before which enabled us to pick a day with good whether conditions etc.

5. Re: Reef Encounter or Wavelength

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 26, 2009