We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

I posted this in the Port Douglas forum, but I believe it is just as relevant here. I saw several articles posted online yesterday which discussed the drastic extent of coral bleaching on the northern portion of the Great Barrier Reef. It seems that this has happened very recently. Can anyone verify if the reefs that are typically visited by the snorkeling boats are bleached? This is obviously a very serious problem, but it would selfishly be a huge letdown if I did not get to experience the beauty of the reef on my trip in late June. Here is an article for reference: www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4432792.htm

Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

I would be checking with the operators but then they will be trying to downplay the damage. So check recent reviews as well. Nearer Cairns and Port Douglas, and indeed further south, the bleaching as not been as severe as the northern reefs. There should be plenty of healthy reef left to visit but I would personally do more research then normal. It is heartbreaking, truly heartbreaking. So now we hope for 10 years free from major climate change events so the reefs can recover. I am truly heartbroken.

Also would wait a few weeks as summer ends as it still maybe ongoing. April sea temps should start to fall a little, hopefully.

Edited: 8:48 pm, March 29, 2016
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
643 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

It would be wrong of me to say that parts of the reef have not been affected by bleaching.

Yes there has been some bleaching and there is still plenty of unaffected reef to see and enjoy.

Please judge it for yourself and let us all know what you saw.

Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

Mike Ball is in the news today saying he has so many places to choose from they can avoid bleached areas. Also some bleached area will repair very quickly but that is a wait and see. I think a month they can see how much was killed. In 1998 and 2002 bleaching was to 50% reef but only 5% died. Mike Ball does a live aboard to the northern reefs so is the main area that has had issues.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

Posting this in the bleaching threads. Reports of severe bleaching near Lizard. Mentions worse in shallow water so I suspect it is probably worse overall for snorkelers than divers.

australianmuseum.net.au/blogpost/amri-news/c…

australianmuseum.net.au/blogpost/amri-news/c…

As a sad aside, we saw hard coral bleaching on our beloved Hawaii Island reefs this January. Water there had been abnormally warm during summer and fall. Can only hope some recovers with cooler water over the winter, but summer is coming again…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

Saw this official map survey of bleaching and mortality. So sad. Feel privileged to have see the GBR in 1992, 1995, 1996, 2014, 2015.

gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/24…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

Very sad. theguardian.com/environment/…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

Ok, last on this. So sad about Lizard (video). Hope others will report.

cnn.com/2016/…

Darwin, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

This is truly shameful.

Even more so than when the National Parks Authority set fire to Snapper Island sometime around 2005

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

nytimes.com/2016/…

A chapter on the GBR damage was reportedly removed from an international report in order to protect tourism revenues. As a tourist, that starts as my money...

10. Re: Great Barrier Reef Coral Bleaching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, May 29, 2016