We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Rainforest

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting the Rainforest

Trip to Port Doglas firming up - booked flights and hope to stay at Pink Flamingo, Arrive 9 Feb Midday. Have a quote of $28 each one way for a transfer. How does that sound? Will book GBR when we get there and see the weather forecast - probably with a glass bottom boat and pontoon as my Husband can't swim due to an injury. I am keen to snorkel. So we have taken all the advice so far to heart. However, would like some more info regarding trips to the Daintree Forest. It will have to be an organised trip as we would rather not hire a car - also feel we need the knowledge of an expert to get the most out of it. We don't want to be part of too large a group if that is possible. How long does it take? How much should we expect to pay and any other recommendations most welcome. Many thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Rainforest

Hello - must admit, don't know anything much about the Pink Flamingo. Have you looked directly at their web-site? Not sure how long you have in Port Douglas, but if you intend hiring a car, consider picking it up from the Cairns airport and drive yourself up to Port Douglas and return to airport when you leave. If you don't intend hiring a car, the 15 minute walk into town, or 10 minute walk to the beach will be quite uncomfortable in the heat/humidity. You might want to reconsider your accommodation - there is heaps to chose from in PD.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Rainforest

Hi No 1 Mum,

Sorry to have missed your post, I seem to have missed a few now and will try and catch up.

The $28 transfer is about average, that's each way per person. Normally the place of accommodation can book this for you if you give them your flight details and e.t.a.

You seem to have your reef tour under control, so this leaves your rainforest tour.

I would normally suggest a small company will only 6 on board, thereby getting the most out of your day with the least amount of people on board.However I'm not sure of your husbands injury, so a small 4WD vehicle may not be the best way to go. He may be better off with a larger vehicle although that will mean more people.

The rainforest is an all day tour and most companies leave and return at approx. the same time. The longer you're out on tour, obviosuly the more that you'll get in return out of your day in the rainforest.

Some include swimming and private areas in their tour and some not. Expect to pay around the $150 mark each for the day touring, which should include everything.

If a small 4wd company is to your liking, then you won't do better than Tony's Tropical Tours. If you think that something bigger would be more comfortable to your husbands injury, then look at Deluxe Safaris bus, just remember the tours don't compare.

3. Re: Visiting the Rainforest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 22, 2009