We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Cairns to Airlie and good places to stop over

Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Cairns to Airlie and good places to stop over

Hi there

In Decemeber I am flying into Cairns, hiring a car and making my way down to Airlie Beach by car. I intended stopping over for one night at each of the following: Mission Beach, Townsville and Airlie Beach.

Need some help with the following

1) Will I need a 4WD or is a passegnger car adequate? I read the road can get flooded over the wet season

2) Do you recommend the nominated stop overs ie: Mission Beach, Townsville and Airlie, or would you recomend other towns. (we are going to Hayman for 5 nights so would prefer to stay away from other islands).

3) I have heard the drive down is quite boring and not much to see. Is this true? What would you stop to look at along the way

4) Any recommendations on 4-5 star accomadation please along with any nice restaurants.

Thanks so much for your anticipated help.

Regards

Kristie

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Cairns to Airlie and good places to stop over

Hi Kristie

1) Conventional vehicle should be fine

2) I hear what you say about Hayman, however i still recommend staying at Magnetic Island rather than Townsville. It is very different to HI. Mission Beach is also nice with lots of accomodation available. Check out Paronella Park south of Innisfail.

3) I love this drive, there is good scenery around Cardwell, I also love the drive for the nearby national parks.

2. Re: Drive from Cairns to Airlie and good places to stop over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, August 24, 2009