We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba dive operators in Cairns

Cedar Rapids, IA
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
scuba dive operators in Cairns

My husband and I will be arriving in Cairns on September 12, and departing (by rail) on September 15. I'll be in meetings, but he wants to scuba dive on the 13th and 14th. He's looking for a day trip operator from Cairns where he can do 3 dives per day. Can anyone recommend a good one which will fit his criteria? I have found Tusa and Silverswift, but would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who has done this. Thanks...Lin

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba dive operators in Cairns

Hi Trvllin

Tusa is the premier dive vessel from Cairns. They take a small number of divers out to the two best spots each day. I've been out with them quite a bit and always had fantastic diving.

I'd also suggest Reef Quest out of Cairns as you can do 3 dives with them.

Another option would be to spend a day going from Port Douglas. Transfers from Cairns are usually around $15, but the benefit would be in seeing a different part of the reef.

From Port Douglas, try Haba, Poseidon or SilverSonic. All are excellent.

Cairns Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba dive operators in Cairns

ReefQuest and SeaQuest are my favourites. I would probably suggest SeaQuest over ReefQuest at the moment as they take less numbers and offer a bit more of a personalised service. ReefQuest is currently operating all dive courses from this vessel so most days will be quite busy with students taking dive courses. But you can take 3 dives however.

SeaQuest is really spacious, huge dive deck and lots of space to stretch out and relax, which I find a big difference between this trip and Tusa. Tusa is quite small and not as much deck space to relax. You can take up to 2 dives on SeaQuest.

Silverswift is another good one offering up to 3 dives. Its a larger boat so again more room to move and they do a great hot and cold lunch. They visit 3 reef locations which I think is the only operator to do so as most just got to 2. You can look up more info by visiting www.silverseries.com.au

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba dive operators in Cairns

Yeah, I think SilverSwift and Reef Quest are the only two operators that do 3 dives per day out of Cairns.

But most of the Port Douglas operators do 3 dives as standard. Probably because it takes less time to get out to the reef from PD.

Cedar Rapids, IA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba dive operators in Cairns

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! Since my husband's dive time is limited, you have saved him a lot of time on our arrival day, since he can now have everything set up in advance on the website. I appreciate your insights, and can hardly wait for September!

Lin

5. Re: scuba dive operators in Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 14, 2009