We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns/Green Island in May

Launceston...
1 post
Save Topic
Cairns/Green Island in May

I will be heading to Cairns May 17-21. We will 2 adult couples traveling.

I have read mixed reviews on Green Island. Is it worth it to stay there at all? Possibly two nights there and two nights in Port Douglas? Any suggestions? We are interested in seeing the reef and snorkeling. Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,678 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns/Green Island in May

I would not spend time on Green Island. I would go to Port Douglas and take reef excursions from there and, if I had my fill of that (never do!) take a trip to Daintree.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
279 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns/Green Island in May

On a good day it gets about 700+ day visitors. Any where not here or Fitzroy. Do day trips.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns/Green Island in May

Definitely don't stay overnight at Green Island. You will regret not being on the mainland. Green Island is perfect for a day trip but over night, nah. Infact both close islands which are Green and Fitzroy are so close to Cairns they are hugely popular with day trippers you will find yourself inundated with tourists all day and again when the first boat arrives in the morning. If you do choose to stay on one of these islands overnnight the one night would be my maximum. If you want to do an overnight reef trip consider some of the overnight dive boats, you will enjoy it much more with privacy or just do day trips fron Port Douglas or Cairns to the reef.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns/Green Island in May

Green island is worth a day trip but not really overnight. You would be better off spending your money on staying in port Douglas or cairns itself. Much more to do and better value for money. You can so great tours from there also.

5. Re: Cairns/Green Island in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 24, 2015