We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

North Sydney...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

I have one day, April 6th, to do something in Cairns. Doing GBR on Saturday. I really like the looks of the Eco Wilderness Safari for the smaller size trips and going the less traveled route, but the all day trip won't work with my 4:00 flight to Sydney. Anyone know of a similar trip that is a half day trip?

Thanks

Christine

sussex
Level Contributor
28 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

I have done a couple of 1 to 1 trips which can be to your times and are not that much more expensive,try searching wildlife tours and look for individual operators.These guys will take you off the beaten track and are very knowledgable .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

If you don't find something through a tour operator, you can certainly go to Kuranda Skyrail in a half day and that will give you a taste of the rain forest. This is most certainly on the "beaten track" but if you have very limited time it may be best - I thought Skyrail was a very nice attraction (if expensive) - and because the each gondola only carries so many people, the intermediate stops aren't necessarily too crowded.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

Although it's not going to be quite the same thing as a 4WD tour, if you do want to experience the rainforest and delve into Aboriginal culture you could so a guided Dreamtime walk at Mossman Gorge mossmangorge.com.au/Experience/Dreamtime-Wal…

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

My boyfriend and I really really loved our day w Eco Wilderness Safari. It might be worth contacting Kevin to see if there is anything he can do. He was an awesome tour guide.

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

Bty we also went to Kuranda. We enjoyed the train and Skyrail but the scenery was nothing compared to what we saw w Kevin at Eco Wilderness Safari. Kuranda is touristy. With Kevin we were away from it all in pristine areas.

North Sydney...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

Thanks. I did contact Eco Wilderness and they suggested we try Discovery Tours which does the same general area as Eco but has a half day option. Looks like we will be trying that. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Cairns, Queensland...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

here's another half day rainforest tour, they do both morning and afternoon tours (although it seems to cost about as much as a full day tour) www.visitcairns.com.au/store/Product.aspx…

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

Hi Chanmomi, did you do the 1/2 day tour? I'm interested in that too, we only really have 1/2 a day, need to be in Townsville that same day. It's ether the 1/2 day rainforest 4WD tour or the Skyrail.

North Sydney...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

We did do the 1/2 day with Discovery Tours. It was perfect for us since we had a short time. Discovery has only just started offering this tour so on the day we took it, my husband and I were the only ones on the tour. We saw gorges, waterfalls, walked on a short rain forest path, drove through an area and a couple of brooks. Saw some beautiful birds at our tea near a dam - rainbow lorakeets watched us eat our snack, saw a beautiful kingfisher and a Ulysses butterfly. The guide was Jean and he was very nice and knowledgeable. It was his first time doing the short tour rather than the longer tour but he did a great job.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cairns - Shorter rainforest option?

Thanks for the update, it sounds good.