We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns to Prosperpine- Greyhound advice please

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
181 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns to Prosperpine- Greyhound advice please

Hi all.

We are planning to travel from Cairns to Proserpine on the greyhound in March and I need advice on what sort of greyhound pass I need to buy. My travel agent advised me to purchase the 2500km pass, but I am not sure this is correct as it seems very expensive and with some amateurish googling I'm pretty sure the distance is no where near 2500km, but forgive my ignorance and if I am wrong please advise! Hoping someone can help. Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns to Prosperpine- Greyhound advice please

Have you looked at http://www.greyhound.com.au ?

You can use maps.google.com.au to estimate the distance between cities quickly, though for the official distance according to Greyhound, use their timetable. You're right it's only about 620 km from Cairns to Airlie Beach so I don't know why the 2500 km pass was recommended at all. Sounds like you might need a better travel agent!

I assume you want the bus because you plan to stop at multiple cities/towns along the way, right - e.g. Townsville? Otherwise just choose a direct ticket which will be cheaper than the pass; only $94 according to the site. (I used Airlie Beach rather than Proserpine as I figured Airlie is where you actually want to go, there's nothing to speak of at Proserpine except the airport.)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
279 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns to Prosperpine- Greyhound advice please

There is the train but compare departure and arrival times.

3. Re: Cairns to Prosperpine- Greyhound advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 06, 2015