We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days Itinerary in Cairns with young baby

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5 days Itinerary in Cairns with young baby

Hi everyone

I will be arriving Cairns very soon yet still struggling with planning my trip with kid around. Please help us with your expertise and experience. Here's our suggested itinerary:

Day 1: Cairns city

Arrive and check in hotel

Take the kid to Muddy's playground area and the Lagoon beach

Day 2 : GBF Catch the ferry to Green Island to snorkel

Please comment if you have previous experience on the choice from

1. Cairns Reef & Tour Centre (ferry only)

2. Big cat (which include submarine) or great adventure (which has pool access). These guys are seemed to be good with young children

Return to Port Douglas 4.30 pm Chill by the Four Mile Beach

DAY 3 Kuranda (or Atherton tableland?)

Take the Skyrail from the Caravonica terminal. Visit Kuranda Village, the butterfly sanctuary and Red Peak on the way up. Return by railway, enroute at Barron Falls. Arrive at Freshwater station. Drive back to Cairns for dinner

DAY 4 Daintree Rainforest/ Mossman Gorge and Cape Tribulation

Still haven't done much search on this. Need your insight regarding if it is safe and doable to do rainforest with young baby (1 year old)? We used to be advantageous and love waterfall, forest etc but cannot imagine how it would be with a bub around

DAY 5 - Drive along the Cairns beaches, probably Palm Cove

Does this itinerary seem okay or is it too much packed? I don't want to squeeze in too much but also don't want to miss out on the experience. Any comment is greatly appreciate. Thank you in advance

Melbourne
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days Itinerary in Cairns with young baby

Did you actually want any time for resting or relaxing, what about the baby getting some sleep.

We went with our daughter similar age and yes way to packed its hot the heat will knock the baby around.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days Itinerary in Cairns with young baby

Wow I read your intenerary and I had to take a break and re read. Thats a lot to pack in and not leaving much time to relax, but if thats what you want it's absolutely doable. They are all day trips, some longer than others. Do understand that if you are coming soon the weather may affect some of your choices. Although it's been beautiful here in the middle of the wet season this year bad weather can appear overnight, like today. Places like Green Island or even Cape Trib cant be enjoyed in their full glory if its raining. Muddys is a great place for kids, highly recommend it even on a bad day. Kuranda is doable too and last time I was there it was pouring with rain but we absolutely enjoyed the butterfly farm, the kids, 2 & 4 had a hoot. On a clear day Sky Rail is definitely worth it. Mossman Gorge, even on a wet day is beautiful and worth the visit. I suggest having some back up plans if the weather does turn bad. Otherwise if it's good weather and you are energetic you can do all you have planned.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days Itinerary in Cairns with young baby

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your input. I' ve actually just came back before I had a chance to read your advice. So just want to report back just in case anyone else get interested.

I must admit that its a bit packed but i was flexible and left room to suit baby need. We were lucky enough not having any rainy day (just a few short shower here and there which didnt affect any plan but yeah its the heat that was the killer) This is what we did.

Day 1: as per schedule. Lagoon is great esp in such hot days

Day 2: green island. We went with great adventure. Not a spectacular island for diving but since with a baby, its good enough just to have a feel of what the reef experience might be. I did glass bottom boat with baby and even seen a turtle swim by. Then we were chilled in the pool pretty much. My husband did snorkeling said nothing much except for a few small fishes swam around him which is quite interesting. I guess maybe next time when the baby get a bit older we'd definitely come back to see the real diving experience.

Day 3: we buy tour package for kuranda skyrail, visit the village then went back by train. I feel its quite interesting if you haven't had the experience before but w had travelled by cable car in Hongkong and Vietnam (and plenty of train travelling here in melbourne) before, its not a wow factor for us. Kuranda village really worth a visit with lots of souvenir and the butterflies sanctuary is beautiful. Though we could have drive up ourselves and visit it next time, saving the tour ticket ($107 pp incl 1 transfer). Plus its so hot in the village that it was hard to find a chill place for bub. So if we get our own car it could be much better, just return to the car and turn on

the aircon.

Day 4 we drive to Antherton tableland, stop at a few places like curtain fig tree, lake barrine, had lunch at the dairy center, visited millaa millaa falls. Went to mungalli dairy & organic but it was so quiet & the menu is limited imo. Was expecting to be a cheese tasting place but was quite dissappointed. We used to visit a dairy center in tasmania with a lot more cheese variety and stuff. And it stop there we got back to cairns because i felt like enough for my bub for the day. Lucky he also enjoy the drive and sleep a lot. If time & energy permit, i could have done the waterfall circuit

Day 5 self drive north to port douglas. Visited four miles beach, which is nothing much on the day. Then drove to mossman gorges, where we had a quick swim in the cold water. The baby loves it. Then head ourselves to the daintree tearoom for lunch. Nice place with stunning food. Head back to cairns (1 hr 40 mins) stop along the way for scenic view of the coastal beach. We arrived around 4pm, rest a bit and chill ourselves again in the lagoon. My baby just cant have enough of the splash in the water.

Overall, wish we had stay a bit longer to discover a lot more and its a little rush. Maybe that leave room for our revisit trip in the future. Not sure which we had missed on (since i truly cant do a thorough research on all the places with my baby around) but hope this real experience may help someone with kids. Its all doable, just be flexible and take it easy. Cheers

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days Itinerary in Cairns with young baby

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your input. I' ve actually just came back before I had a chance to read your advice. So just want to report back just in case anyone else get interested.

I must admit that its a bit packed but i was flexible and left room to suit baby need. We were lucky enough not having any rainy day (just a few short shower here and there which didnt affect any plan but yeah its the heat that was the killer) This is what we did.

Day 1: as per schedule. Lagoon is great esp in such hot days

Day 2: green island. We went with great adventure. Not a spectacular island for diving but since with a baby, its good enough just to have a feel of what the reef experience might be. I did glass bottom boat with baby and even seen a turtle swim by. Then we were chilled in the pool pretty much. My husband did snorkeling said nothing much except for a few small fishes swam around him which is quite interesting. I guess maybe next time when the baby get a bit older we'd definitely come back to see the real diving experience.

Day 3: we buy tour package for kuranda skyrail, visit the village then went back by train. I feel its quite interesting if you haven't had the experience before but w had travelled by cable car in Hongkong and Vietnam (and plenty of train travelling here in melbourne) before, its not a wow factor for us. Kuranda village really worth a visit with lots of souvenir and the butterflies sanctuary is beautiful. Though we could have drive up ourselves and visit it next time, saving the tour ticket ($107 pp incl 1 transfer). Plus its so hot in the village that it was hard to find a chill place for bub. So if we get our own car it could be much better, just return to the car and turn on

the aircon.

Day 4 we drive to Antherton tableland, stop at a few places like curtain fig tree, lake barrine, had lunch at the dairy center, visited millaa millaa falls. Went to mungalli dairy & organic but it was so quiet & the menu is limited imo. Was expecting to be a cheese tasting place but was quite dissappointed. We used to visit a dairy center in tasmania with a lot more cheese variety and stuff. And it stop there we got back to cairns because i felt like enough for my bub for the day. Lucky he also enjoy the drive and sleep a lot. If time & energy permit, i could have done the waterfall circuit

Day 5 self drive north to port douglas. Visited four miles beach, which is nothing much on the day. Then drove to mossman gorges, where we had a quick swim in the cold water. The baby loves it. Then head ourselves to the daintree tearoom for lunch. Nice place with stunning food. Head back to cairns (1 hr 40 mins) stop along the way for scenic view of the coastal beach. We arrived around 4pm, rest a bit and chill ourselves again in the lagoon. My baby just cant have enough of the splash in the water.

Overall, wish we had stay a bit longer to discover a lot more and its a little rush. Maybe that leave room for our revisit trip in the future. Not sure which we had missed on (since i truly cant do a thorough research on all the places with my baby around) but hope this real experience may help someone with kids. Its all doable, just be flexible and take it easy. Cheers

Edited: 9:12 am, January 12, 2014
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days Itinerary in Cairns with young baby

Hi and glad you enjoyed your stay. It's always going to be touch and go travelling with a baby on board but you seem to have done most of what you wanted. Obviously touring the waterfalls etc would have been easier without bub and you would have had a much better diving experience if you had ventured out to the reef but these things just can't be done with a baby in tow so I think you did well considering. I have always beleived Kuranda is much cheaper if you drive your self and to be honest I was shocked at the price you paid per person but I guess thats what they charge now for the skyrail and train. I still think the experience is worth it first time round but agree, only once. I would have thought Mungalli would have provided a better experience, as it's one of the most well known local manufacturers I think they could have done better. The weather certainly was hot the week you were here, temps around 35C and no considerable amount of rain. The week you were here should have been pouring with rain but the wet season has been late resulting in hot and humid but clear days so you were in fact lucky to have been able to enjoy what you did. The rains have now arrived taking off that searing heat feeling.

6. Re: 5 days Itinerary in Cairns with young baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 17, 2015