We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gret Barrier Reef-worthwhile visit Jan-Feb?

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
Save Topic
Gret Barrier Reef-worthwhile visit Jan-Feb?

My wife and I are arriving in Sydney Jan. 23. We plan to stay in Australia from 10 to 14 days and then fly to NZ for a month. My question is it worthwhile to visit the Great Barrier Reef at Cairns to go snorkeling at this time of year? Or re there better places to go?

I have received mixed messages: it is too hot, it will be raining, this is the wrong time of year, etc. We have also been told that the Great Barrier Reef is one of the seven natural wonders of the world and is unique. If we go, we will spend 3-4 days there.

We will be leaving Salt Lake City Nov. 25 for Israel, Thailand, Angkor Wat, Australia, New Zealand, and return March 4.

We can also go snorkeling in Isreal and Phuket.

I am 85, my wife is 70. We are both active and ski and hike.

Active Senior

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gret Barrier Reef-worthwhile visit Jan-Feb?

It's cyclone season and stinger season.

That means you will need a stinger suit to swim. That's not a problem as the tour operators will provide one.

The weather is more problematic. You could get 4 glorious days (although it will be hot) or you could be stuck inside a hotel while a cyclone rages around you. No way of predicting.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,948 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gret Barrier Reef-worthwhile visit Jan-Feb?

Yes, it's true that January and February are not the best months in Far North Queensland due to the hot and humid weather, but the Great Barrier Reef is a World Heritage Site for a very good reason. Nothing you find in Phuket or Israel will compare.

If it's a choice of going to the Reef in Jan/Feb or not going at all, then by all means GO!

(FWIW, I've snorkeled in a lot a different places around the world and nothing compares to the GBR.)

3. Re: Gret Barrier Reef-worthwhile visit Jan-Feb?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 05, 2014