We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

Looking at doing a week in Cairns and Port Douglas (3 nights in each location) Would we need more in one or the other or splitting the 2 would be perfect?

Just wondering where the Great Barrier Reef tours are best/more popular taken from, Cairns or Port Douglas?

We have never snorkelled before. We are a couple traveling together and would love to see the reef by boat/cruise. Any suggestions on cruises would be great? Preferably a half or 3/4 day tour?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,523 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

Great Barrier Reef cruises are usually an all day experience, from both Cairns and Port Douglas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

No problems, thank you. Just wasn't sure if a tour from one or the other was more popular or if better tours left from Cairns/PD.

Would you recommend 3 nights in each town enough time or more nights / things to do in Cairns than Port Douglas?

Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

Megz.

they are only an hour apart.

I'd do one night in cairns for Kuranda if this is on your plan and the rest in PD unless you want nightlife as Cairns trumps PD for that.

From Cairns you can do a half day tp green island (not high on my must do list) but if you are really into having a good experience snorkelling then the must do would be wavelength from PD. They are a smaller operator and only do snorkelling.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

Port Douglas puts you closer to the marvellous Daintree Rainforest where we spent two days and could have spent more.

We did our snorkel cruise with Wavelength and they were first class in every way. It was great being on a small boat, talking to the two marine biologists and being taken on guided snorkels in two of the three places we stopped.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

Excellent thanks guys.

We like to have a night out and drink now and again but not every night, getting a bit old now haha. We are thinking of traveling up in July next year for my big 30th :)

Daintree is a must as is the Reef. I think I want to be on the reef for my Bday followed by a night in town :)

I can't believe how much more PD is tho in $$. Anyone know any rental units/apartments we can book our rather than the motels?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,523 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

Check holiday vacations www.venere.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

Thank you Nurioopta, will do :)

8. Re: Reef Tours from Cairns or Port Douglas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 31, 2014