We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

Hi, we are arriving in Mid August for just over a week and want to do a day out on the reef (looking likely it will be with reef magic) and also might go to Green Island. Shall we pre-book before we arrive or will we be ok booking when we actually arrive in Cairns and can see what the weather is like etc? Do the tours get fully booked? Thanks x

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

I would wait to see what the weather has in store. Wind will be the main problem at that time of year. It can be rough trip out to the reef . I think the cruise companies look at cancelling around 25 knots or so.

As for green island....do some research as it can be a disappointment.

Edited: 4:15 am, June 23, 2013
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

I would wait and choose the best day of your stay to visit the reef. You won't have any trouble booking the day before. See what prices are available before booking and check the operators directly, you may save on comission fees.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

Pardon me while I jump in on this question. What about in November? Is it ok to wait and book after we get there or is that too close to summer and school close to take a chance? Thanks,...

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

November is quiet. I would wait.

Mortlake, Australia
Level Contributor
298 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

We got here two days ago and couldn't get 3 seats on anyone's cruise until today & then it was to the Low Isles, nothing available to the outer reef till Thursday. It was 30-35 knots today so we almost missed out. I would say it depends how long you're going to be here but if the local experts say wait, then you should. We had a lovely day but at 30knots the water is very murky & the trip out is very rough! If we'd had the chance to wait for better weather we would have.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

It's still school holidays, going outside of these will make a difference

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

Kwaussie is on the ball with that answer. In the off season you can have a choice of any tour to book the day before. On shoulder seasons the better/more popular boats will be fully booked 1 or 2 days out, but there will still be plenty of places available on the other boats. In peak season pretty much every seat will be booked for 3-5 days in advance.

How do I know this? I live here and have worked both on the boats and in reservations for one of the big companies. (although now I just fix the boats)

Cairns
Level Contributor
50 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

Absolutely last week of June and first two weeks of Cairns are usually the busiest in the year and booking 2-3 days out common. By Mid August it is still busy but not crazy busy and you should get on with one days notice two at the most. In November - quiet and fantastic, possibly the best , month for visiting the reef with usually no wind, clear skies and good visibility (unless we have an early wet!) so no trouble at all with booking the night before. Enjoy!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

I agree with everyone else. Wait until you get here to see what the weather has in store.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-book a reef tour or wait until we arrive?

HI, If you can i would wait until you are here to book, least you will see what the weather is doing on the day that you would like to go out. Usually by mid Aug it should be a bit easier to get the day that you want to do your trip. Regards mosiewigs