We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banana Plantation Tour

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Banana Plantation Tour

We will be visiting Mission Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas next week.

The one thing my husband 'must' do is visit a banana plantation.

Does anyone have any ideas, are there any that offer tours to the general public.

Thanks for any advice :)

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banana Plantation Tour

I've never heard of any tours. Banana-growing is fairly straight-forward so I cannot imagine a tour would be particularly instructive - they grow wild on our property and all we have to do is cut down the 'parent' plant after it produces it's bunch and leave a sucker or two at the base to grow into the next fruit-bearing plant. And put bags on the bunches to stop fruit-fly laying their eggs on the fruit.

You will see them growing alongside the main road in many places, such as on the road from Mossman to Daintree Village. And if you cross the Daintree River towards Cape Tribulation and turn right onto the Cape Kimberley road there are huge areas of them.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banana Plantation Tour

Driving from Mission Beach to Cairns you will be passing through the largest banana producing region in Australia.

Stop by a farm where you see workers active (with a cold six pack of beer under your arm) and I am sure they will give you a quick run down on the process. They may even offer you a job if are really wanting to learn about banana production..... :).

3. Re: Banana Plantation Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 06, 2014