We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Island in July

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Green Island in July

Would like to know if the water is too cold for snorkelling in early July at Green Island and outer reef? I do not have a wet suit and not too keen on cold water. Went to Hamilton island in Dec and it was nice and warm then. Would appreciate any advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Green Island in July

Cairns July water temp would be pretty comparable to melbourne in mid summer I'd imagine

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green Island in July

I saw on the news that Melbourne had a heat wave this year..... Ten summer days in a row above 30'C (giggle)

Cairns max temp range is 26~32'C, 365 days a year. I recall back in about 2002 the overnight temp dropped to about 9'C once (I thought the sky was falling), this was the major topic of conversation for the following month as it was the coolest overnight temp in recorded history.

In short - expect cool but comfortable nights and pleasant day times temps with a (normally) slight sea breeze

We are on the very bottom end of the SE trade winds but this comes into play more so if you head north to Cooktown area

Early mornings can be fresh, so pack light...... what do they call them again ?? Oh, yeah, jumpers (or something like that) :P

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green Island in July

HI

Iam sure you will find the water temp ok coming from Vic you can't compare the two they are so different

mosiewigs

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green Island in July

Thanks for the responses all of you. Still feeling a little anxious about the WATER temp. Weather should be fine, 26 degrees in Melbourne is HOT!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green Island in July

Aussiegirl, in July I really like a wetsuit to snorkel.

I can do 10 or so minutes but after that i get cool. Snorkelling really is just laying in the water doing nothing so you don;t tend to generate your own warmth.

OTOH if swimming or surfing I can survive at much lower temps.. these are averages 24 is plenty warm and it rarely drops below 22 as the coral needs a temp above 22 to survive

www.metoc.gov.au/products/data/aussst.php…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Green Island in July

GurusW, sounds like it will be too cold for me then...will have to move on to a warmer location! That is the whole point of getting away from the Melbourne winter in the first place. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Green Island in July

No its warm enough as an escape from melbourne..

8. Re: Green Island in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 19, 2014