We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Cairns area

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Cairns area

We are visiting Cairns for a week in the middle of september but we really would like to explore the northern part of Queensland(cooktown,cape york ect.) Is it worth checking out? And Should we just wait till we arrive to book anything or should we try to get stuff online? And where would be the best place to get HONEST info about places/tour groups? oh and one more question would getting a bus pass be cheaper or just a hassle? thanks guys

Passions of Paradise Reef Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Day Trips
Spirit of Cairns
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Bad Fishy Jet Boating
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,805 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Cairns area

I would definitely wait until you get to the Cairns region to book any tours to the GBR. You want to go when the weather conditions (particularly the wind) are good. Since you have so much time there, you won't have a problem finding a boat for a date with good weather.

The best place to get honest info on places and tours is right here on Trip Advisor. Go to the "Things to Do" tab at the top of the screen and start reading reviews of places/tours that interest you. Most of us here will "tell it like it is" in our reviews and it's not too difficult to weed out the glowing reviews by service providers.

Edited: 5:35 pm, April 15, 2013
Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Cairns area

With limited time in Cairns you would be pushing to explore any further north than Cooktown, which is about a 5-6 hour drive from Cairns. I've just googled tours and found this page which will give you some idea of some of the many options available:-

…fnqtravel.com.au/tibs/…cooktown-tours.html

Please bear in mind that September school holidays start on 20th September in Queensland..

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Cairns area

Me again - I would make it at least a 2-day tour to Cooktown - we've been there and back in a day and we're a couple of hours closer than Cairns, and it was a VERY LONG tiring day! But well worth visitng Cooktown which we find a fascinating place still with a little of that Aussie frontier-town feel to it.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Cairns area

Hi

I think i would take the time visit Cooktown it is a little town there is not a lot there, but i always enjoy a visit up there, the inland road would be the way to go if you are going to self drive, there are also lots of tour available. The tablelands are all worth a visit also. GBR is must also

Regards mosiewigs

5. Re: A week in Cairns area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 19, 2014