We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns 11th August - 16th August 2013

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns 11th August - 16th August 2013

Hello,

I am arriving in Cairns for 6 days in August.

I am wondering where to stay which is reasonably priced. Probably looking at hostels as I am trying to keep costs down. Something conveniant with day to day excursions / things to do.

While I am there I am looking to explore the great barrier reef. what are the best things to do in August? And generally how much do they cost? I am open to all ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
82 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns 11th August - 16th August 2013

Hey Steve

I've stayed at the Cairns Central YHA, private rooms are good there and the location is 4 blocks from reef terminal to do your day trips. Depending on you want to do, I went out on Silverswift excellent snorkelling.

I'm not that adventurous to do water rafting but they say it is amazing if you do the full day to Tully which is South of Cairns. If you get the chance take an overnight trip to Cape Tribulation, its stunning up there in the Daintree.

In Cairns there are plenty of party bars, clubs - the wool shed is popular with backpackers.

There are also plenty of dive options up there, it really depends on what you want to tick off your bucket list.

You can pay anywhere from $100 - $250 for a day trip, depending on what you want included.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns 11th August - 16th August 2013

Thanks Tracey, very useful. I will look into some of this.

3. Re: Cairns 11th August - 16th August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 29, 2014