We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Cairns ... advice for a family of 5

Newcastle, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Cairns ... advice for a family of 5

Hi, I am taking my family to Cairns and surrounds for 2 weeks in Sept/Oct this year. It will be myself and my husband and our three children (10, 8, 1). I was thinking 1 week in Cairns and then a few days each at Cape Tribulation/Daintree, Port Douglas, Atherton Tablelands. Does this sound OK? Does anyone have any accommodation suggestions ... we want somewhere with a pool and would prefer not to pay more than $150 per night. Would it be best to hire a car for the whole time, or would we just need one in the second week where we will be travelling around a bit? Any suggestions on holidaying with the kids in this region would be appreciated. Thanks so much :)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Cairns ... advice for a family of 5

Hi,

I have a 10 year old so hopefully be able to help with the kids suggestions....I would suggest staying near the esplanade and Muddys playground as they will like both of these activities. There are also markets on the weekend at the esplanade and Rustys (Grafton St) with lots of stuff for them to look at and tropical fruits to try. Try to get a self contained apartment (Lake St just off the CBD has a few- I will have a look around when I am out that way) as dining out with kids will get $$.

Crystal Cascades is a great place to take them for a pathed bushwalk and swim. Skyrail and an hour or two in Kuranda will be fun for them as well. Palm Cove has a nice safe beach to swim at and free BBQs.

Staying up in the Tablelands, I would suggest Lake Tinnaroo holiday Park as its right on the Lake.

Passions of Paradise is great for kids, the kids will get entertained by the staff really well and Michelmas Cay is a safe snorkeling area. Fitzroy Island is also a great day trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Cairns ... advice for a family of 5

personally I would not stay in cairns but head out to one of the beaches eg Trinity or spend longer at port Douglas. I would only do a night or two in Daintree but Atherton tablelands definately worth a visit.

If they love to swim go out to Mosman gorge, does get busy but lovely cool water and quite safe.

We spent 3 nights at trinity, 2 at daintree and one week at port douglas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Cairns ... advice for a family of 5

Everything you can do in Cairns can be done from PD if you have a car and beaches are good here as well although late October is getting to start of stinger season.

4. Re: First trip to Cairns ... advice for a family of 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 31, 2013
5. Re: First trip to Cairns ... advice for a family of 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 02, 2014