We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving in Cairns

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, IL
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
scuba diving in Cairns

I'm looking for the best diving company to book three days of diving in the Great Barrier Reef. We are certified divers and staying in Cairns.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving in Cairns

Hi,

Can we have some more information about the diving that you would like to do?

Do you want a liveaboard or 3 different dive experiences with 3 different day trips? What are you hoping to experience- night dives/deep dives/ different reef systems/ drift dives?

Also what time of year are you coming as that will impact the decision as well.

Columbia, IL
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving in Cairns

My husband and I will be there for approximately 4 days in early February. We do have hotel reservations, so a liveaboard dive is not what we're looking for. We are certified PADI divers but still would like to have a dive master with us. Also, we just recently heard that Airlie Beach would be awesome to visit and dive there. We're thinking of two days of full diving each day. Thanks for any input you can give us.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving in Cairns

My local UK dive shop/club uses Mike Ball, but I think he only does liveaboards. It may be worth speaking to them though? Some of our guys have had excellent diving with them.

http://www.mikeball.com/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba diving in Cairns

The best dive spots are remote so liveaboard is usually diving paradise

The southern reef trips dont quite have the same kick (although time of year is crucial)

Can you reconsider on live aboard if diving is the key?

Best dive trips go out of PD IMHO....

Columbia, IL
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba diving in Cairns

Thank you.

Cairns Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scuba diving in Cairns

Hello,

Just curious how was your dive experience here in Cairns? Hopefully you went out with one of the smaller boats (sailboats). We have lived here for 3 years after 10 years in Florida and find the diving better in Florida (Jupiter to be specific). Most of the boasts cater to the first time non- certified diver over the certified diver.

Hope you had a good trip here in Carins.

Cheers

QueenParrotfish

7. Re: scuba diving in Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 20, 2014