We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteer scuba diving

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
volunteer scuba diving

Hi im looking to volunteer in cairns on a dive boat or to volunteer for marine conservation, im interested in diving and have ssi / padi dive certificates but i wish to gain experience aswell as do something with purpose. any help or advise would be great.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: volunteer scuba diving

Hi Keith,

You would be best to research which boats you are interested in and contact them directly. I know from working with one of the large volunteer organisations up here in Cairns these kinds of positions are very very rare and have a lot of insurance concerns and issues.

Most of the conservation programs (i.e. COTS/Project aware/Eye on the reef) use staff on the boats to do data collection and monitoring. The staff that they use are very experienced in the areas that they monitor and have on-going training. It is a pretty intensive process. My husband is actually involved in one of these programs so this information is pretty current.

Try researching some of the live-aboard boats as they will sometimes have volunteer deck staff help out on their multi-night trips.....Its not conservation but it gets you recognized as willing to help out in a very tight/who you know kinda industry.

Sorry that the information wasn't more positive!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: volunteer scuba diving

depending on your visa circumstances:

from the immi.gov web site...

"Volunteer work tourism schemes

In general terms, you may be able to work as a volunteer whilst on an eVisitor if:

•your main purpose in visiting Australia is tourism, and any voluntary work remains incidental to tourism

•the work involved would not otherwise be undertaken, in return for wages, by an Australian resident

•the work is genuinely voluntary and no remuneration is received in return for the activities.

Note: It is acceptable, under the conditions of an eVisitor, to receive meals, accommodation and/ or reimbursement of out-of-pocket living expenses in return for voluntary work"

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: volunteer scuba diving

Hi any advice is good advice so thankyou. ill keep looking and hope for the best.

4. Re: volunteer scuba diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, December 16, 2013