We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Cairns

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Switzerland
Level Contributor
115 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire Cairns

Hi there,

I want to hire a car to travel from Cairns to Cape Tribulation and back via Kuranda in second week of January next year. Due to the rainy season do you think I need a 4WD?

I am staying at Crocodylus village at Cape Trib. What is the road like to there? Is it all paved track or is it part dirt track?

Thanks

swmi_edi

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,044 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire Cairns

No need for a 4WD if you are only going as far as Cape Trib. Sealed road all the way from Cairns.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire Cairns

A normal sedan is the go ..No need for a 4WD if you only drive to Cape Tribulation.

You only need a 4WD if you are continually further on the Bloomsfield track from Cape Tribulation.

The Bloomfield Track is the coastal route between Cape Tribulation and Cooktown. The Bloomfield Track is definitely for 4WD vehicles only.

Cairns, Queensland...
Level Contributor
8 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire Cairns

The road is sealed to Cape Trib so a 4wd is not needed.

Keep in mind that is the busy season in Cairns

Try All Day Car Rentals they will give you a good deal.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire Cairns

I have used Gem rent a car just north of cairns They have good cars and the service was great and pricing competitive

Torino
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire Cairns

DO NOT RENT ANYTHING FROM CRUISING CAR!!!

Rented an expensive 4wd car in Cairns to drive along the Bloomfield track: not only the car left us in the middle of nowhere with the broken radiator, but they also charged us 3000$ for damages that we certainly didn't cause!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
635 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire Cairns

AVIS is pretty good in Cairns. I have used them twice when visiting Cairns.

7. Re: Car hire Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 30, 2014