We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

I have 11 days and want to go to GBR for 5 days and 5 days for Sydney. What would be the best suggestions? I hear Whitsunday Islands are fabulous also so need help with itenerary. I'd like to go Daintree and see as much as possible. Maybe I should cut Sydney off a couple of days? Please help......:)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

for such a short time just do sydney/cairns (port douglas). there is a heap more diverse things to see in the cairns area than around the whits.

5 days in sydney 6 in cairns includes one travel day.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

If you can get an open jaw ticket, flying into Sydney and out of Cairns at the same or similar cost then it would save a heap of time traveling.

I'd have to agree that there's more to see in the Cairns district than the Whitsundays. With a day out on the reef, a day to Cape Trib, perhaps a day up to Kurandra, a trip to Mossman Gorge, some down time on the beaches, time around Cairns or Port Douglas - there's a week gone and still lots to see.

Your choice in FNQ is between Cairns (a city) and Port Douglas (more of a laid back resort town) as a base. PD is closer to The Daintree and Cape Trib. Cairns has more in the way of facilities.

Your initial thought of spending half your time in Sydney and half in FNQ is good and will ensure you get enough time to see both without wasting time at airports and on planes.

Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

appreciate the thoughts. I like water over big cities, Im from ?San Francisco, should I cut Sydney days for Whitsundays? Maybe 4 nites Cairns, 3 Arlie Beach, 4 Sydney? Im flying from Sydney to Phuket so has to end there.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

The one nice thing you can to at Airlie Beach that you cant do in Cairns is go sailing in the Whitsundays on a bareboat charter (DIY). Are you a sailor?

If not, then I'd skip the Whitsundays and if you want a 3rd location, opt for something completely different from the tropics/beach/ocean scene.

Perhaps 3 nights in Melbourne? Uluru? Tasmania? All of these are an easy flight from Sydney and offer something completely different from coastal tropical north Queensland.

Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

Great ideas. But the main attraction it seems for me is to see the GBR. Is Cairns the best to see that? Would love to go overnight on a sailboat in Whitsundays if money allows, but not sure yet. I'd feel gyped is I didnt see enought of the GBR, snorkling swimming, etc......

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

from cairns/.PD u have far many more options to visit the GBR. and it's closer too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

And Cairns/PD as a base allows you some flexibility in case of poor weather for diving/snorkelling/sailing. Assuming you will rent a car, you can use those days to see something of the inland/hinterland.

When are you planning to come?

Open jaw is an excellent idea if you can do it - saves a good half day at airport/flying to relocate.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,553 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

You can go out overnight sailing from Cairns, just not on a bare boat charter. You have to go out on a registered boat with crew.

cairnsvisitorcentre.com/cairns-tours/great-b…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

Sounds as though you would prefer the top end of Queensland over Sydney.

Sydney is a buzz but it is a big city and maybe you could cut down on it a bit...depends when you are coming downunder...I'd look into what you want out of Sydney...just to see the sights. If so you may be able to get a day tour around town, get out to Bondi and Manly beaches and spend the following night on the town...Phuket is not that far away to fly out.

Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 days in Australia Would like to do Cairns &Sydney

so in your opinion, you think we're better off staying around Cairns area to enjoy GBR and Daintree instend of going to Arlie Beach also?