We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea and sky diving

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
4 posts
Save Topic
sea and sky diving

i will be flying into cairns for two days in november.

i want to do both sea and skydiving.

but being an absolute thrill seeker i want to do solo skydive and also scuba dive deep into the coral sea reef, not just snorkel in the shallows.

please suggest some combined tours in two days.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea and sky diving

Are you a qualified sky diver?

Are you a qualified scuba diver?

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sea and sky diving

No I'm not a qualified sky diver nor a qualified scuba diver but I am an excellent swimmer and also have no qualms in sky jumping.

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sea and sky diving

I read on skydive cairns website that it doesn't take much training to solo skydive..2 days only.

But I don't know anything about the scuba diving though I read somewhere that there is a 2day 1night tour into the reef with 9 dives into the sea.

Please help as I want to do both in 2 days.

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sea and sky diving

No I'm not a qualified sky diver nor a qualified scuba diver but I am an excellent swimmer and also have no qualms in sky jumping.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,426 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea and sky diving

Scuba diving requires a course. You can not just jump in the ocean after a quick lesson in the pool. Please do some "homework" at home, see if there is anywhere you can get a course BEFORE you arrive in Cairns. With only two days, you may not ever get to the point where you are ready to scuba dive.

Also, are you flying out of Cairns? Again, you can not go for a dive, then hop on a plane right away.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea and sky diving

In the '2 days' that you are here you will not be a certified open water diver. There is quite a bit of theory work and skill work that you need to do for any courses (minimum at least 4 comprehensive days).

But you will be allowed to do an 'intro' dive on boats.

As an intro diver you cannot 'deep' dive at all. Your Instructor will allow you to dive to a safe level depending on your actually competency in the water (being confident DOES NOT mean that you will be competent). Many boats will allow have you diving at around 6 meters (18 feet), you may go a little deep but no deeper than 12 meters of so. Open water certified divers can only do a maximum of 18 meters anyway. There are many parts of the reef that are really beautiful at 6 to 12 meters.

And yes, you cannot fly to certain heights after a dive, you will need to wait at least 12-24 hours depending on the dive profiles.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sea and sky diving

I wouldnt recommend doing the 2 activites (providing you actually even get ample training to do them - which seems in doubt based on your responses) so close together. Advice from the Aus Parachute Federation:

Can I go scuba diving before and after skydiving?

It is important to note that 'Snorkelling' does not constitute underwater 'Scuba Diving!' The problem which may occur by Skydiving after Scuba Diving is decompression sickness - otherwise known as the 'Bends'. This is a condition which may occur with Scuba Divers if they have spent a long period of time at depth below the water and return to the surface too quickly. It is a function of the depth of the dive, time spent at depth and speed of return to the surface. If a person is subjected to a further reduction of atmospheric pressure (i.e. Skydiving), there is a higher probability of developing decompression sickness.

The following are the recommended limitations for flying after Scuba Diving:

Scuba Diving which does not require decompression stops may be carried out after a 1 hour rest period provided the following flight is not conducted above an altitude of 500 feet above mean sea level;

Scuba Diving which does not require decompression stops may be followed by flying after a rest at sea level of 4 hours;

Scuba Diving which requires decompression stops and is of less than 4 hours duration may be followed by flying after a sea level rest of 12 hours; and

Scuba Diving which requires decompression stops and is of more than 4 hours duration may be followed by flying after a sea level rest of 48 hours.

New Delhi, India
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sea and sky diving

thank you all for your very helpful replies.

i gather from your informantion that i cannot deep dive into the the sea without prior training as it takes more than 2 days.

but i can intro dive from the boats upto 12-15 meters..i think that would havto do..thank you impickes.

also skydive cairns does have a 1 and a half day course for solo skydiving..i intend to do that with my intro dives at the boat on the second day..as i think it is in compliance with the advice by APF mentioned by perfectlyperth.thank you.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sea and sky diving

I don't see how you can fit both activities into your two day time frame if the sky diving course is going to take a day and a half. The intro dive trip will take another full day so you are going to need more time to undertake your adventures.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sea and sky diving

Yes, you are correct and the Intro dive is still an amazing experience especially for someone that hasn't dived.

I recommend taking the Passions of Paradise trip - they have the best crew and will look after you :)