We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

I know there is a lot of posts regarding this, but we are looking to travel in December, and we are aware it is student holidays/summer break during this time. We are two 24 year olds and two 50+ year olds. We are renting an RV from Cairns to Sydney. The 24 years old will be in Australia for 2 years and the 50+ only have two weeks on the east coast, so I would like to cater to them more. Here is what I have so far.

Cairns 2 nights, Mission Beach 1 night, Townsville 1 night, Airlie Beach 2 nights, Bundaberg 1 night, Fraser Island 2 nigthts, Noosaville/Noosahead 1 night, Gold Coast 1 night, Byron Bay 1 night, Coffs Harbour 1 night, Port Stephens 1 night.

I'm not looking for a big travel day except Airlie to Bundaberg (only reason why we stop in Bundaberg, cut up the drive). Please make any suggestions or comments. I'm sorry that this is another Cairns to Sydney post but I would like to make this special for my girlfriend's parents. Put me in the good books :)

Cheers for your help and really looking forward to hearing back from you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

Hi,

Heaps of driving - but you seem to know about that anyway. Have you read the links below its full of helpful tips. IMO you have not allowed time to enjoy this trip.

I've driven this route numerous times from Sydney due to family commitments & unless you have time to enjoy its basically hard work..

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Have you thought of only driving down to Brisbane & catching a plane to Sydney. This would allow more time to relax in certain destinations. Your parents would certainly like Noosa - its worth more than 1 day / night.

I would cut out the Gold Coast & add a night onto Noosa.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

"but I would like to make this special for my girlfriend's parents. Put me in the good books :)

4 people 2 weeks in an RV in summer from cairns to sydney?

sounds like a meet the fockers scenario...good luck!

surely u can think of something a little less.....ummmm....hectic

Edited: 4:58 am, October 10, 2012
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

It was the parent's idea, not mine, I agree and think we could easily do two weeks from Cairns to Brisbane area. I might suggest that as well. Thank you for your help though, brilliant advise!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

Hmm, 2 couples for two weeks in an RV.....

seriously, you don't say when in December, but any time around Christmas school holidays, you not be able to find nice spots in caravan parks or national parks - they will be booked out already, and most likely have minimum night stays. And the drive down the highway in Queensland is mostly boring, full of roadworks, heavy traffic, and isn't scenic for long stretches.

Nicer to do the Cairns region, and then fly to Brisbne, then drive down the coast from there. Hiring car and staying in apartments/motels will be much nicer than a RV, but again, need to pre book, particularly towards Christmas.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

hahaha I love that this isn't a good idea.. This could get interesting! Cheers for all the help, I'll see what I can do. It would be early December, the the 5th till the 19th.

Blackwater...
Level Contributor
25 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

You could pick a few places; some ideas that we have seen are:

Cairns - day trip up to Kuranda, (rainforest with old train ride one-way and monorail other way)

MIssion Beach is a beautiful beach, but you could see the same at either a day trip up to Port Douglas from Cairns or the Whitsunday Islands out from Airlie Beach, (Airlie Beach itself is not a nice beach (sand), you need to go out to the islands for the breathtaking beaches)

Sunshine Coast - Australia Zoo is inland from here and worth a trip as well as the hinterland - Montville etc - little towns with quaint shops and cafes in the hills behind the sunshine coast.

7. Re: Cairns to Sydney, 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, December 15, 2013