We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple questions for our upcoming trip

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
A couple questions for our upcoming trip

- We are planning to do self drives to daintree/cape trib and the tablelands. Have other folks just used maps to get around ('the old-fashioned way') or have you paid for a GPS from the rental company? I'll have my US cell phone with GPS...but it doesn't seem to fare as well without the data turned on, so I don't know that this is a good option.

If we did use maps, where are they readily sold?

- after our GBR dive we need to wait 24hrs before elevation. I read something that indicated that Kuranda may be too much elevation - I had not even thought of that - just flying in an airplane. Can anyone confirm that Kuranda would not be a good idea within 24 hours of diving? What about daintree/cape trib/or atherton?

appreciate any thought.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

There are still old fashion maps available but there are also a lot available on line. The roads are very well marked so you really don't need a map. Suggest you visit www.racq.com.au which has info on driving conditions, routes etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

I wouldn;t think there was enough issue with Kuranda on the day after a dive. I've done it and the tablelands more than once. I'm sure there are people who live in the tablelands that go and dive then drive home.

Kuranda is about 300m (1000Ft) above Sea Level (not these are apporx and not even accurate conversions)

Lots of Divers walk up Cooks Look on Lizard (which is much worse than taking a Gondola Ride) it is 360m (1100ft)

Paper maps, always the tourist brochures, most will have enough info for what you need. Generally the routes are well signposted.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

We came across a CD called The Daintree Self-Drive Audio Guide.

It includes directions, a commentary, some of the history of the area and a guide to the plant and animals.

Played it in the car as we drove along and was quite interesting.

It also comes with a map of the area and a few discount vouchers.

www.daintreerainforestinformation.com

I saw it in all the Tourist info shops. Our hotel gave us a copy. From memory it was under $20.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

maps will do you perfectly well.

There are not that many roads up there to get confused by and well sign posted.

The drive up to the table;ands is absolutely beautiful with lovely views over the coast.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

I agree with hamiriver, however if you are wanting to see Mt Hypiymaee, Milla Milla Falls, Curtain Fig Tree, Cathedral Fig Tree or even Undara you might get a little lost, just don't panic. May I ask what you want to see on Atherton Tablelands?

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

Thank you for the link Linda W.

Good to know about the audio tour evamelb!

Thanks for the tips - I don't yet know an exact route we will take. But for Daintree/CapeTrib we will be doing the main stops. So it sounds like we will be alright in terms of directions. From what I read too the roads are sealed up until Cape Trib - since we will just have a compact car - so we shouldn't need 4WD.

I am not yet sure what we will see in Atherton yet - I have yet to plan.

I am up for any suggestions. I had looked at some tour stops - I imagine we will want to see some waterfalls - any suggestions as to the best ones? Are any safe to swim in? I have read about crocs in rivers...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

The only crocodiles on the Atherton Tablelands are fresh water crocodiles and they are safe to swim with. There are many waterfalls to swim in. Milla Milla Falls is the most amazing but also the most popular.

Another nice place to swim and explore if you like the dryer country is Granite Gorge near Mareeba

My favourite place on the Atherton Tablelands would probably be Lake Barrine for the wildlife, but you can't swim there, Nearby Lake Eacham on the other hand I think you can. They are known as the crater lakes.

USA
Level Contributor
115 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

Thanks!

One more question - any idea on the compatibility of US car chargers with Australian car outlets?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

We bought a Tom Tom in the US and it worked fine in our car when we got it home.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple questions for our upcoming trip

Check withy your rental car company as my understanding is that a couple of them still don't allow ordinary 2wd cars to cross the Daintree River.