We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tjapukai by Night! JEERS! Horiible! Waste of time and money!

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tjapukai by Night! JEERS! Horiible! Waste of time and money!

We were charged $180 (my wife and I) to witness what I truly believe was the single worst waste of time and money that i have yet to experience in 35 years of traveling. They tell you to arrive at 7pm, then have you spend 40 minutes in their shop as they try to sell you overpriced boomerangs and aboriginal crafts that you can buy for less than half the price in town. Then they advertise a 'spiritual journey' which consists of a carnival rubber blow-up toy with fake lightning over the loudspeaker, this is the type of stuff you see outside bars in any western city. They falsely advertise a 'lakeside ceremony' which was no where to be found on the evening of our 'spiritual journey', mind you is was a beautiful evening as well, and therefore no reason to leave this part of our 'journey' out. The buffet is a fight through 150 Japanese tourists to get to the very average dishes. Then came the real 'show', we were still waiting for SOMETHING that waasn't a joke, then we were handed a group of middle aged, pot-bellied men who put on a 30 minute skit portraying aboriginal kangaroo hunting, by far the worst performance i have ever seen in my life, and a complete embarrasment and disrespect to the obirginal people and culture. This was similar to a show that we watched by homesless street performers in Sydney, although the street performers were more convincing, and we gave them a donation of loose change, not $180. We were obviously unhappy with the evening, as were several other American tourists, and were basically told by our waitress, 'never expect anything when on vacation, it can only lead to disappointment', well for $180 for 2 hours of so-called entertainment, i'd say a little expectation is not unreasonable. The bartender even commented that she was upset with the park for misadvertising the Night show and has had lots of complaints in the past. We spoke with the manager, who basically said "tough crap". I can only hope that this internet a powerful enough tool to affect their bottom line and force them to either charge $10 per person, or provide a show as advertised. Bottom line, in 35 years, i have never seen such a mockery of a culture. Jeers to Tjapukai by Night!

NZ
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tjapukai by Night! JEERS! Horiible! Waste of time and money!

Spoke to Warren McEwan, another manager at Tjapukai, his response: "we have more people clapping along in the night than we do complaints"..."some people don't like Disneyworld, this is the entertainment industry, and there are no guarantees"...lastly, he refused to bring my complaint to his boss, David Brooke, as he said that "it is not of any concern to him". Comparing Tjapukai to Disneyworld is like comparing a fillet mignon to kangaroo excrement, they are simply 2 completely different entities, not even mentionable in the same breath. Tjapukai management could obviously care less about how the public views their show, as long as they get our money in their pockets.

Dubai
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Tjapukai by Night! JEERS! Horiible! Waste of time and money!

Thanks! I had read about a similar experience before, I think in this very forum and so had already made up our minds that we won't waste our energy and money going to the TBN. What about the Tjapukai park itself - is it worth it? Not much into cultural stuff, unless it is truly inspiring. We've got two kids -11 and 3 - and so we're more keen on the GBR, zoo, walking in the rainforests, koala sanctuary, birdworld....you get the drift!

Will be staying at The Lakes - got such a fantastic deal - besides it adjoins teh Flecker botanical gardens - what more can I ask!

Ta

kassy

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tjapukai by Night! JEERS! Horiible! Waste of time and money!

Hi again Kassy

I'm glad we skipped the night show but we enjoyed Tjapukai during the day. We spent 3 hours there before doing skyrail/train. We could have done with a little longer - there's a history show, a "dreamtime" show with good special effects, a dancing and singing show and then boomerang and spear throwing. Each show ran into the next one so you just moved from one to another with very little time delay. My kids 5 and 6 enjoyed it all. They asked lots of questions and even though I'm not sure how much they understood, we all learned something. You get to throw the boomerangs (and I think the spears but we left before then) so if nothing else we know my hubby's good at it and the rest of us aren't!! I'd certainly go again.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tjapukai by Night! JEERS! Horiible! Waste of time and money!

I'm so glad I read this, not the first bad thing I've read about the night show either and I'm so pleased for researching this and finding out because it is SO EXPENSIVE and we are on a budget holiday to start with but I really wanted to show my daughter some aborigional dancing and I thought night time would add to the atmosphere but then after looking at their site, I came to the conclusion the focus seemed to be on the smorgasboard and I think I read somewhere you were only there for 1.5 or 2hr. I figured by tthe time you ate it didn't seem to be the best value night out. I'd prefer to see a show and organize my own meal. Either way, I've decided to give it a miss. Might do the day tour which you seem to see more although someone said to me to give Tjapukai a miss alltogether and go into one of the other parks up there that have aborigional dancers and the like so may look into that.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Tjapukai by Night! JEERS! Horiible! Waste of time and money!

Or save it until you come to Sydney...they do free aboriginal dancing at the NSW Art gallery.

Also dpending on your chld's age and not sure if this si the case in victoria, bu in NSW MOST schools have an aboriginal performer at least once every two years to satisfy governmentrequirements re aboriginal perspectives to education..if she is at school you may want to check if they have avisit planned. i know my kid's refused to go to Tjapuki..all cultured out...

16. Re: Tjapukai by Night! JEERS! Horiible! Waste of time and money!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 12, 2009