We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
175 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

Hi All,

In addition to doing all the active rainforest/reef type stuff, if I wanted to just sit around for a few days by the side of a swimming pool, chill out and not be disturbed too much by noise, which hotels would you suggest? Ideally, the pool will be free form i.e not rectangular and be in a tropical setting.

Budget: No more than 300AUD a night

Regards,

RJL

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

We just returned from the region, and while closer to Port Douglas than Cairns, Thala Beach Lodge has pools which probably fit your vision. Both built to look like rock pools in the jungle (minus the crocs). Lounges around the pool are in small, separate areas so there's only ever three or four together in one spot. http://www.thalabeach.com.au/

Thala is between Cairns and PD - about 15 minutes south of Port. The private beaches also attracted us to the location.

Here's my review

tripadvisor.com.au/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Edited: 9:00 pm, August 10, 2012
Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

When are you coming here? I've just looked up Silky Oaks on Wotif:-

www.wotif.com/hotels/silky-oaks-lodge.html

and they currently have a deal a little over $300.

It is a lovely rainforest resort just north of Mossman. Yes, it is about an hour or so north of Cairns but I think it would tick all your boxes for access to the Daintree rainforest (Mossman Gorge 10 mins away - Daintree Village - 40 mins) and Reef (Port Douglas 25 mins) plus perfect pool-lounging!

Their lodges have all just been refurbished, there is a beautiful freeform swimming pool surrounded by rainforest and tropical gardens and a really lovely restaurant/bar area overlooking the flowing river.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
175 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll be coming in mid October. This time of year will be warm enough to swim won't it??!! I read a review for another hotel which was written in October and they described having the fire on in their room - think it was down near crater lakes!

I can't seem to find reviews for Silly Oaks on tripadvisor...are there any available?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g499676-d120…

Definitely warm enough although pools often seem to be cool, the ocean is warm enough to stay in for an hour!

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

Sorry insert, I did have a giggle when you said you looked up 'Silly' Oaks!!! My 'silly' sense of humour!

It will certainly be warm enough to swim. Crater Lakes is high up on the Atherton Tablelands - also called Cairns Highlands - where it is often much cooler than down on the coast.

October is our springtime so it will be getting warmer - it's winter now but we have lovely warm days (mid-20's C) although, for us, quite cool nights. Last night it was 10C here in Daintree which was quite unusually cold, but there would have been frost up on the Tablelands!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

LOL...I didn't even read it as Silly!

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

I've just looked up Wotif again and unfortunately at the moment Silky Oaks doesn't have those good deals in October - minimum is currently $548 per night for a 3-night stay! Perhaps they may have more deals closer to the time.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
175 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

Thanks all! Sorry for "silly mistake"!

We are heading to the region for twelve nights. I'm wondering if the experiences at

Daintree Wilderness Lodge

Silky Oaks

Mt Quincan Crater Retreat

will be a bit too similar.

Sunbird, thanks for the tip about waiting for deals, I might do the same with Mai Tai resort as well due to financial constraints!! I guess mid October might be just before peak season which will leave a reasonable chance of a deal??

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

Hi again insert,

I would say that would be a reasonable itinerary as each is handy for quite different experiences.

From Silky Oaks you are close to Mossman Gorge and Port Douglas for the Reef .

At Wilderness Lodge you are quite literally in the middle of the rainforest on the way to Cape Tribulation. (My very personal opinion, perhaps not shared by others, is that being right in the rainforest can sometimes feel rather claustrophobic - but purely my opinion!)

Then you have a totally different experience at Mt Quincan which is high up on the Tablelands with very different scenery and climate - cooler, drier, farming country - tropical fruits, coffee, cattle - with lovely lakes and waterfalls ('tho perhaps not the best time for those as October is in our driest season).

October is actually about the end of our busiest time which tends to be from June to September (gets cold in our southern states so many folks head north to get warm!) so you might get some reasonable deals if you wait a while - most places should not be heavily booked, especially as it is after our September school holidays.

10. Re: Best swimming pools in the Cairns Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, August 21, 2013