We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Port Douglas frin Cairns Airport

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to Port Douglas frin Cairns Airport

Hi all,

I'll be arriving in FNQ in late August and have hired a har with my wife. I'm 22 years old (off my p's) and will be hiring a har from cairns airport to port douglas via palm cove.

I know I'm a good driver and a safe one at that but can anyone tell me what captain cook highway is like in terms of it's difficulty? I hear it can be quite narrow and windt.. Is it a difficult/challenging drive?

Any similiarities to the great ocean road?

Thanks!

M

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,093 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving to Port Douglas frin Cairns Airport

From the airport to Palm Cove is pretty much a four lane highway. There are about half a dozen traffic circles. Not sure if you have experience with those in Melbourne. I DON'T, and was very glad to have our friend from Sydney driving. From Palm Cove north, it goes down to just the two lanes.

Depending on your arrival time, Palm Cove would be a nice place to stop for lunch. Some great restaurants to choose from all along the Esplanade right across the street from the beach.

12. Re: Driving to Port Douglas frin Cairns Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 11, 2013