We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Island vs Fitzroy Island

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Green Island vs Fitzroy Island

Me and my boyfriend are going staying around Cairns in June and we wanted to spend 3-4 nights on an island. Green Island looks great but is very expensive... while some locals we are staying with says Fitzroy Island is better, although the reviews I have read are mixed. Any advice? It seems that

Green Island - Pros: Good diving, small resort and v private in evenings, good food.

Green Island - Cons: Lots of day trippers, expensive

Fitzroy Island - Pros: Cheaper but brand new accommodation and pool. Good diving, snorkelling, small shop with food etc.

Fitzroy Island - Cons: Coral beaches (not much sand!), kitchenette's charged to be switched on in rooms, mixed reviews on service and food.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green Island vs Fitzroy Island

I stayed on Fitzroy Island a number of years back for 2 weeks. It was one of my favourite holidays-very relaxing. The island is bigger than Green Island which means you can do some exploring. There's the lighthouse, secret garden path, and a track around to Nudey Beach which is a lovely little secluded beach about 15-20 min casual walk from the resort. Yes the beach are coral, but don't let that detract you from the beauty of the island and the wonderful snorkeling you can do right from the beach.

I didn't go to Green Island. We had the chance to on the last day, but we chose to stay on Fitzroy because it was so wonderful.

The resort has changed but the beauty of the island remains.

Green Island is very commercial and yes lots of day trippers and expensive.

I would choose Fitzroy over Green Island. If you want to visit Green Island then just do a day trip there.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green Island vs Fitzroy Island

We have been to both islands but stayed on Fitzroy and enjoyed our stay of 3 nights 4 days. Yes it's a bit expensive but what a place, we stayed in a room tea & coffee no views but did have a fridge plenty of space. Restaurant was mixed but the food was good overall.

There is a great beach in front of the hotel and even better one 15-20min walk called Nudity Beach long sandy beach and round the corner of this is another small beach which we had to ourselves. Snorkling was great saw turtles, rays, fish of all colours enjoyed every minute of our stay. We booked this through Travstar travel check out there web site. Hotel including transfer package also included trip out the outer barrier reef during the stay. Have pics if you want to see any. Bit quiter than Green Island would go back again. The_reef

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Green Island vs Fitzroy Island

I'll just let you know that neither has "good" snorkelling when compared to an actual reef trip. I'd be doiing a day trip or two to the reef for diving and/or snorkelling. Both Islands have reef trips that will pick you up on the way to the reef, but these are large boats with lots of people onboard. The smaller reef boats do not do Island pickups.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green Island vs Fitzroy Island

We spent a long time deciding whether to go to Green Island or Fitzroy island for the first four days of our holiday in Australia and we were so glad we chose Fitzroy! Green island is big with day trippers (even advertised on our flight into cairns) whereas Fitzroy had a few but only a handful each day and you barely saw them at all around the island.  See my review in the Fitzroy island resot page. We loved it and would definitely recommend.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green Island vs Fitzroy Island

Thank goodness! We were one of those "daytrippers" when we visited Cairns in January, and I didn't like it much at all! So glad you had a great time!

6. Re: Green Island vs Fitzroy Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 14, 2013