We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

We are arriving in Yorkeys Knob on a cruise ship and will be arriving at 7:00 am and departing at 6:00 pm.

We would like to take a GBR snorkeling trip however it appears most tours leave from Cairns at 8-8:30 am so we may not be able to make them with the tendering time. Does anyone know if there are any GBR trips that depart from Yorkeys Knob that we can take?

thanks

scott

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

There are no GBR snorkelling trips (that I am aware of) that leave from Yorkey's Knob. However, I am sure you will find you will be well taken care of and snorkelling trips will be available through your cruise line. Have you checked on the cruise ship site? My advice is to go on a smaller, rather than a larger boat if you can.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

No, there used to be one from Yorkey's but that was at least 10 years ago.

You might just have time for a reef trip out of Cairns with a boat that leaves a bit later, try googling Sunlover. This take a large volume of people, but the small ones such as Sea Star leave Cairns at 8.00am , and you need to be at Cairns wharf by 7.30am so that would be cutting it fine, You'd have time for a half day trip to Green Island, but that's not the outer reef proper.

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

Thanks to both of you for your input. Yes, the ship does have an excursion but it is both large and expensive. So if that is my only choice I will likely take it. But my preference was to find something smaller for at worst the same price.

So I may just bite the bullet and do the ship arranged excursion so at least I do not miss the GBR.

thanks

Prunedale...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

We are looking for a GBR dive trip that leaves later than 8. We dock in Yorkeys Knob at 7 am and leave at 7 pm.

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

There is really nothing in Yorkeys Knob but a Yacht Club. However when we were scheduled to dock there we contacted Seastar Cruises and they were willing to pick us up there on their way to other pickups and drop us off there at the end of the day. We docked at 7 am and were on the first boat ashore so it worked for us.

Also there was a cruisecritic group that got several couples together and arranged a custom GBR cruise so they picked and dropped off at Yorkeys Knob and waited until everyone was off the boat. You might try the roll call for your cruise and see if there is a group doing that on your cruise.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

Cherdon - have you checked out your cruises' roll call on cruisecritic? There is always looking for a way to book an alternate excursion to avoid the cruise excusions.

Prunedale...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

Yes we have been on cruise critic, the trip they booked is full. We are on the waitlist. There are not ant divers though. Our trip is in Feb. so we will keep looking. Thank you,we will check with Seastar.

Prunedale...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

Yes we have been on cruise critic, the trip they booked is full. We are on the waitlist. There are not ant divers though. Our trip is in Feb. so we will keep looking. Thank you,we will check with Seastar.

9. Re: GBR trip from Yorkeys Knob

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, December 15, 2013